PDA

View Full Version : Is Lithium Lethal?? HELP

keepemlaughing
04-11-06, 00:10
I have only been on the stuff 12 days. the first week 300 mg, 2nd 600 mg, and now for two days 900mg. I feel awful! i am swollen up so much my arms are aching and i can't take my rings off. my face is flushed and i feel lethargic. i feel the achy tension in my neck and shoulders. No for someone fighting depression, this is pretty darn depressing. Is this a normal part of lithium. i don't want to stop taking it before i give it a good chance to work. WHAT SHOULD I DO?? i tried calling the doctor but he is gone till monday. Please help! anybody.

Sheryl

cfury
04-11-06, 02:22
You should read the booklet that came with the medicine and check for the side effects. If your symptoms match the side effects, stop taking the medication until you talk to your doctor.

Antipodes
04-11-06, 03:25
Hi,

I have been on Lithium Carbonate for many months with nil side effects at all. It is a naturally occurring salt and our bodies readily metabolise it. ie. it is not a hi-tech manufactured chemical. It is very important that you drink plenty of water when you take your tablets. I drink extra water throughout the day too.

I have two friends have been on it long term and niether of them have had any side effects. It certainly isn't "famous" for being a tricky med.

You should be able to find plenty of info if you do a google/Yahoo search.

This med is termed a mood stabiliser. It inhibits "highs" and "lows".

I hope this helps.

I think you should check this out with your doctor. I am surprised there is no after-hours number you are able to call.

Antipodes