PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum - This is about me

HAZECAMBO
05-11-13, 16:29
Hi

I have always been a bit of a worrier and around 15 years ago suffered panic attacks but then I was fine for a long time. Since having my baby 3 years ago my Health Anxiety has got really bad. Its not only myself I obsess about but the health of my close family - husband, daughter and mum.

I also suffer from quite bad mood swings but think its all related. Am on a waiting list for a local counselling service as I am worried I pass on this obsession to my daughter. My mum was a worrier though not about health and nowhere near as bad as me.

I am not frequent visitor to the doctors, in fact I am scared to visit the doctor in case they tell me bad news or unearth something and blood tests or any test that involves waiting for a result terrifies me.

I am generally really healthy but at the moment I have been diagnosed with a UTI. Need to pee ALOT and when I finished I still feel like my bladder was full and afterwards I felt uncomfortable (burny). Finally went to Doctor who said there was white blood cells in my sample indicating infection and gave me antibiotics. They didn't work so now on my second lot. One day to go and I still have symptoms. So far I have been anxious about Bladder Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, a type of Chronic infection that never goes away (interstitial cystitis) and tumours somewhere in my water works. I am convinced this wont go away and I will have to get tests and they will find something awful. My poor friend is a GP and I always text her - she tells me it is not bladder cancer! Makes me feel better for a while but now moved onto ovarian - don't want to ask her about that but know I will. I use her to discount things all the time.

I do the checking thing - mainly asking my GP friend (sure she hates me doing this), but randomly feeling my boobs daily but never actually checking them properly in case I find something???? And recently in shower decided my tummy felt bumpy and convinced that this was abnormal so poked around for about a week until I made it hurt. I also go on diets and when I succeed I worry that I have lost weight and so eat crap for a day and weigh myself to make sure I can put weight on. Its the whole weight loss cancer thing.

So far in past wee while I can remember thinking I had:

Ovarian Cancer (this is a recurring one for me)
Throat cancer (normal sore throat)
Brain tumour (tension headache)
Chronic Kidney Disease (absolutely nothing wrong)
Skin cancer (nowt wrong)
MS (symptoms which were actually anxiety)
Lupus (symptoms which were actually anxiety)
Having a stroke (as above)
And the list goes on

In addition I have thought my mum may have Hodgkins Lymphoma, that my daughters growing pains are Leukaemia and that my husband had prostrate cancer (was a UTI) I never ever think of a harmless reason for things.

It definitely has an adverse affect on my relationships as I become a bit preoccupied and manic when I am worrying about health issues and really irritable and a bit angry as I feel on a state of high alert, yet don't really talk to anybody about it. I guess this is one of the main reasons I am seeking help finally.

It is a horrible way to be and I feel that I worry my life away. I am so busy worrying about what might happen that I am missing out on the joy of life at the moment. I do have an active social life and a lot of fun but that is in between all this nonsense.

It has been interesting reading this forum and finding out that there are lots of people like me out there.

Anybody else tried counselling with success???

Hx

Tense
05-11-13, 16:51
The thing with anxiety is that it is all worse case scenario. I've got to take antibiotics (I have never had them before) and I am convinced I will have a bad reaction to them.

I also worry about the health of loved ones, although my worries are not unfounded as 2 of my brothers have had a stroke and my mum nearly died of blood clots after an operation.

The thing to remember is that your worrying will not change anything, and therefore it serves no purpose. It's easier said than done but try and think of a lesser problem that may be caused by the symptoms. If they persist, that's the time to see a doctor. The odd headache does not mean you have a brain tumour, the odd pain does not mean leukaemia.