PDA

View Full Version : labrynthitis

Worryguts
05-11-13, 17:13
Hello All

Its been a while since i last posted…..now i have yet another health anxiety just as i was starting to reduce my meds. Currently on 20mgs citalopram (from 40mgs) been on them since june last year. I had a virus 5 weeks ago bad spout of d+……will spare details coked me for six. Then haven't been right since. Feel like i am constantly drunk and its not all the time but comes and goes…head pain…neck pain…ear pain…..Doc has diagnosed labrynthitis.

Just really want to speak and hear from other sufferers to help put my mind at ease before i google myself to a brain tumour. Thank you xxxx

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

knocked me for six not coke!!! haha

*Fallen Angel*
05-11-13, 17:19
Do NOT google brain tumour. I have labrythitis and it's not nice. I take betahistine for it and it's a lot more under control now. It's not pleasant but now I'm not scared of it it doesn't worry me anymore (I just worry about loads of other things!). I also find it's worse if I've had a cold/virus.

tiff123
05-11-13, 17:21
Hi there, I had labrynthitus 1.5 years ago and it went on for months and months.. and yes with how it makes you feel and HA Dr google was quick to diagnose me with a brain tumor. Don't google.

Gradually you will have slightly better days and it will get better.

If I recall correctly.. your ear is damaged for life BUT your brain will compensate and the dizzy feelings will go and become less and less.

Even now when I get a cold, my ears feel pressurized and I get a mild version of the same symptoms.

Also yes, I never really ever get headaches and this gave me constant head pain/head aches.

Also (sorry tmi) whatever virus gave me labs, seemed to go right through me for months and I had same bowel symptoms you mention... to the extent I went on plain chicken and rice diet to fix it I was so sick of it.. eventually passed.

Hope you get better soon.

HoneyLove
05-11-13, 17:34
Worryguts I'm sorry you're feeling so unwell, labs is a horrible thing to go through. If it's taking a long time to resolve ask your GP or have a look in your area for people who do vestibular rehabilitation therapy - it can help you recover quicker and avoid or lessen the impact of any future episodes.

Fallenangel, you too should check out VRT, it's designed to help people recover from labs and will help your brain compensate faster! X

Worryguts
05-11-13, 18:12
Thank for all your replies. To those whom suffer also.... Do you find it's a constant feeling or just comes like an attack? I've been fine all day and then bammm sudden dizziness pain in head and ears. X

HoneyLove
05-11-13, 18:23
My VRT therapist doesn't believe I have labyrinthitis, but at the beginning when they thought that's what I had he described it to me like this - Many people wake up feeling OK and then get worse as the day goes on, or get hit with it later in the day. It happens because when your balance system is struggling it can handle a certain amount but eventually it gets tired and your symptoms will kick in.

As you get better this should improve as your balance system learns to tolerate more and compensate better - VRT can be very helpful to speed up this process.

It can help to try and figure out what triggers your dizziness, and to try and describe what the sensation is like when it hits you. For example I get a spinning sensation in my head, a drunken feeling, and feeling off balance that seem to be triggered by things like bad posture, watching movement (visual vertigo) and a stuffy nose. But other people get full room spinning sensations triggered by head movements or bending down.

If you're getting sudden spurts of dizziness that only lasts a few minutes then it may be a bit different to labyrinthitis.

Shivmarie
11-11-13, 18:07
I have this too, it's the most unsettling thing I've had. It's difficult because trying to explain it to my friends and family is just effort, nobody understands it.

Worryguts
11-11-13, 18:12
Hello shivmarie,

How long have you had it for?? I am also struggling to explain to family and it's made me a hermit. I no longer enjoy walking around outside and loud noises make it worse. Does this happen to you? Also do you find you think you are getting better and then you have a really rubbish day?? :-( I can't see any end xxx

Megb4387
02-04-14, 21:21
Hi everyone! I have this now as we speak and it's the worst feeling ever.. and definitely feel like I have a brain tumor. Mine isn't come and go.. it's pretty much all through the day. The constant feeling of weirdness/drunk is awful!