PDA

View Full Version : Visit to the A&E because of iron related symptoms

Worrier_78
05-11-13, 19:23
I have just returned from the A&E. For past days I have been feeling light headed \vertigo, tired and fatigued , legs aches, shortness of breath upon walking etc and I was thinking its because I have just finished taking xanax so the withdrawal symptoms are effecting,
But I got so worked up with my symptoms that I decided to call the out of office doctors and went to the A&E. They checked my BP checked pulse etc and when I told that my Ferritin was 10 while the normal range is from 20 -2 280, HB was nromal and all the other values were totally normal. Dcotor on duty explained that becuase the blood was taken just one day before my period, it is possible that the period caused more blood loss and there is already not enough in the storage (Ferritin being 10) that the HB has gone down now as well. He did not check the HB and said I dont see the need to check it as your BP, heart rate are fine. He said the iron tablets need to do their work for few more days (I started taking them since yesterday). He said give them few days, take rest and if the symptoms get worse, go to your GP .
I am surprised that they can not check the HB at the spot. I trust the GP however, knowing that they tend to overlook things sometimes, I am freaking out now. When my HB was within normal range last week Monday, can one period really bring it down to the level that one turn Anameic so fast??? I thought it takes time. Can Ferritin low levels alone can cause the symptoms that I am experiencing ?? Strange thing is that I only started having these symptoms right after the period ended on friday last week. Blood work was done Monday last week (just a day before the period began). I had not felt these symptoms from Monday to Friday last week.
What can Anemia do anyways?? Is it dangerous? I really really dont want to GOOGLE at this point. I am restricting myself .
Any response is appreciated.

SarahH
05-11-13, 19:39
You have just been checked at A&E................I think you are fine :flowers:

Fishmanpa
05-11-13, 19:44
Based on what I read here and the other low iron thread, you're fine and there's nothing to be concerned about.

Hope you feel better

anxietygal
05-11-13, 19:54
With iron-deficiency anemia, your body can deplete your iron stores for a long time without any symptoms. Then, you get to a point when your iron is low enough that it starts to affect your RBC production and that's typically when you start having the symptoms you've experienced. Yes, a single period can push you over the tipping point, but the iron deficiency is the cumulative result of your periods over a much longer period.

Anemia is not fun but is only dangerous in really, really extreme cases - and yours is pretty standard for menstruating women.

Don't panic if your symptoms aren't gone in a week or so. It took awhile for the problem to be created so it takes a time for it to be fixed. I've had problems with anemia a few times and I start noticing an improvement in my symptoms in two weeks but it can take months for them to totally go away. It's also hard because the shortness of breath from anemia makes me anxious which makes me feel worse.

A couple of pieces of advice: 1) take the iron with vitamin C (supplements, OJ, whatever) to help it absorb; 2) it's best to take it on an empty stomach but this may cause too many gastro problems; 3) if you do take with food, avoid dairy & tannins (wine, tea) as these hinder absorption; 4) your bms will change color (dark green to black), this is totally normal so don't freak out; 5) iron can be rough on your stomach but there are different formulations so try a new one if needed.

Worrier_78
05-11-13, 20:03
Thank you.... Any comfort helps at this point. I will try and wait up for few more days to let the iron tablets do their work, am eating alot of pumkin seeds , tuna, red meat to buff up the iron at the same time , just hoping these symptoms reduce so I can feel relieved.

---------- Post added at 04:03 ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 ----------

With iron-deficiency anemia, your body can deplete your iron stores for a long time without any symptoms. Then, you get to a point when your iron is low enough that it starts to affect your RBC production and that's typically when you start having the symptoms you've experienced. Yes, a single period can push you over the tipping point, but the iron deficiency is the cumulative result of your periods over a much longer period.

Anemia is not fun but is only dangerous in really, really extreme cases - and yours is pretty standard for menstruating women.

Don't panic if your symptoms aren't gone in a week or so. It took awhile for the problem to be created so it takes a time for it to be fixed. I've had problems with anemia a few times and I start noticing an improvement in my symptoms in two weeks but it can take months for them to totally go away. It's also hard because the shortness of breath from anemia makes me anxious which makes me feel worse.

A couple of pieces of advice: 1) take the iron with vitamin C (supplements, OJ, whatever) to help it absorb; 2) it's best to take it on an empty stomach but this may cause too many gastro problems; 3) if you do take with food, avoid dairy & tannins (wine, tea) as these hinder absorption; 4) your bms will change color (dark green to black), this is totally normal so don't freak out; 5) iron can be rough on your stomach but there are different formulations so try a new one if needed.

First of all, thanks so much for your explanation. My RBC was normal in the blood test last week, every thing related to RBC was normal, also the HB, platlate, Folic acid all was normal EXCEPT for Ferritin being low.
What surprises me is that one period can push things over the edge (we have no proof yet it has though pushed things over the edge) , yes I have symptoms but we have not checked the HB to confirm this...... I think I am going to wait for a couple of day . So the symptoms I describe can not be related to low Ferritin alone?????

Your tips are great, I am taking iron tablets right after breakfast. Breakfast is usually an egg with a toast or Oat without milk but with water and honey. After taking the iron tablet, I am taking Vitamin C supplement . I noticed the change of colour in the bms already after first dose. Hope that is OK??

anxietygal
05-11-13, 20:29
In my reading on anemia, I've read about women who have symptoms with low ferritin but normal HBs so it's possible. But since your symptoms appeared after your period, it's more likely that this last one just pushed you over the tipping point and your HB finally dropped since you lost blood and your ferritin was low enough. Either way, it's easily correctable with the iron tablets.

But I totally understand wanting to get your HB checked. I can be obsessive about mine when I have problems. Since my last one was almost back to normal and I'm feeling better, my doctor is waiting four months for the next test. Even though my HB was better, my iron stores were still low but I know that they are the first to get depleted and last to be filled. Your HB will drop after your iron, but also rebound first so your symptoms should improve. But I still worry that my iron levels were low and wish my appointment was sooner.

And, yes, your bms changing that fast is totally normal and they will return to normal quickly after you stop the iron. Although that probably is months away because it takes a long time to rebuild irons stores.

Worrier_78
05-11-13, 20:35
In my reading on anemia, I've read about women who have symptoms with low ferritin but normal HBs so it's possible. But since your symptoms appeared after your period, it's more likely that this last one just pushed you over the tipping point and your HB finally dropped since you lost blood and your ferritin was low enough. Either way, it's easily correctable with the iron tablets.

But I totally understand wanting to get your HB checked. I can be obsessive about mine when I have problems. Since my last one was almost back to normal and I'm feeling better, my doctor is waiting four months for the next test. Even though my HB was better, my iron stores were still low but I know that they are the first to get depleted and last to be filled. Your HB will drop after your iron, but also rebound first so your symptoms should improve. But I still worry that my iron levels were low and wish my appointment was sooner.

And, yes, your bms changing that fast is totally normal and they will return to normal quickly after you stop the iron. Although that probably is months away because it takes a long time to rebuild irons stores.

thank you sooo much for your comforting and logical explanation. Am I just imagining or was it possible to check HB instantly through a little needle just like we test glucose??

anxietygal
05-11-13, 20:53
I've never had an instant HB test so I don't know if they exist or not. It's always been through a blood draw. Luckily, I usually get the results back in a couple of hours so I don't have to wait too long.

I'm glad I can help and I hope you feel better soon!

Worrier_78
05-11-13, 21:11
Just searched and noticed that actually in US, you can purchase a home kit to measure glucose, HB and Cholesterol level . I might order it though. Its good to have it at home knowing there is diabetes in my family and both father and mother are heart patients, its good to keep an eye on the cholesterol. HB is necessary knowing my periods are heavy and these grrrrrr symptoms..... just an idea. I am not sure if these meters are as accurate as the lab though....