PDA

View Full Version : Dad and dinner,

Em.ma
06-11-13, 18:40
Yesterday we made toad in the hole for dinner.
We had left overs. But I forgot to put in fridge. His eating it now (heating it in microwave) but I'm scared he'll kill him self.
Their Cumberland sausages.

Fishmanpa
06-11-13, 18:44
I had to look up "Toad in the Hole" to see what it was... looks yummy and I love sausage! Gonna have to try that someday soon!

Gotagetthroughthis
06-11-13, 18:49
:shrug:

Lilac58
06-11-13, 18:52
I have eaten things loads of times that haven't been kept in the fridge and have never been ill.

nomorepanic
06-11-13, 18:55
Emma why don't you try and rationalise things more ?

Is it likely he will kill himself by this?

The worst that will happen is he gets an upset stomach

You really need to try and put some CBT in to practice and stop making such major things out of trivial incidents.

Em.ma
06-11-13, 19:32
Thanks guys.
Thanks Nicola- yes, I've also said to my self 'well his a grown man and can do what his like'

Toad in the hole is lovely :)

willous1
06-11-13, 19:34
I have eaten things that have not been put in the fridge loads. In this weather the good is kept cool anyway and think abut the amount of good that is left out for various occasions etc. if it was left out a few days then eaten, you may be looking at a couple of trips to the toilet.

unsure_about_this
06-11-13, 22:23
Emma I have also eaten a few things which I have left out from the fridge on the side and have been fine. I think the worst which may happen is a trip to the toilet more or your Dad throws up.

The last time I threw up when I was 11 and was a 24 hour bug.

Annie0904
06-11-13, 22:27
Fishmanpa...Toad in the hole is delicious. It is a yorkshire pudding with sausages in it. Luckily my husband is a Yorkshire man and makes them to perfection :)
Emma...I am getting a new kitchen fitted so haven't got a fridge at the moment...my fridge is my conservatory! This time of the year it is cold enough in there.

Col
06-11-13, 22:36
Yum yum , I'm a sheffield lass & grew up on Yorkshire pudding, gravy, roast potatoes - just lovely xx try it fishmapa

Fishmanpa
06-11-13, 22:52
Fishmanpa...Toad in the hole is delicious. It is a yorkshire pudding with sausages in it. Luckily my husband is a Yorkshire man and makes them to perfection :)

I quite enjoy cooking and have found a recipe' for this that I'm going to try this weekend :) Fortunately, softer foods (of which this is) are easier for me to eat since treatment.

Since I have nothing to compare/judge it by I'll just have to go by my taste buds. Thanks for mentioning this Emma... btw... your dad will be just fine ;)

skippy66
07-11-13, 14:22
Is it the much more painful version of a frog in the throat?

Annie0904
07-11-13, 15:59
These were the last ones I made 1997You must make sure the oven is hot and put a little bit of fat (I use vegetable lard) in the tins, make sure the fat is VERY hot before you put the pudding mixture in otherwise they won't turn out well.

Fishmanpa
07-11-13, 21:48
Gosh that looks good! But it can't be healthy for you between the sausage and cooking with lard ~lol~ However, everything in moderation right? A good Toad in the Hole every once in a while is fine :) With my heart issues I eat low fat all the time but I do indulge in a little food sin now and again.

Annie0904
07-11-13, 21:58
You only put a tiny bit of lard in the tin to coat it and heat it up. I would use olive oil but my husband insists on lard. I make him use the vegetable one though. He has had 2 heart attacks!

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

I use 5 heaped tablespoons plain flour, 2 eggs, pint semi skimmed milk beat it all together. Put the oven on high. Tiny bit of fat in each pudding tin, get it as hot as you can then pour in mixture.
Not sure where in USA you are Fishmanpa but I tried making these in Utah and they didn't turn out too good because of the altitude :)

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

oh and if it is toad in the whole, cook the sausages till lmost done then put in the tins before you pour the mixture on :)

Fishmanpa
07-11-13, 21:59
I've had two heart attacks too! I can do olive oil. We use that all the time. it's a "good fat" :) Thanks for the recipe... I'm in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia so we should be good ;)

May try this over the weekend...

Annie0904
07-11-13, 22:12
I have been to Arlington which I think is in Virginia?

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

I also have some friends in Fredericksburg

gypcyg
07-11-13, 22:16
How do you get lard from a vegetable? And Annie I did lol that you photographed your dinner (in a nice way :) )

And Emma come on - How's yer dad?

Annie0904
07-11-13, 22:25
Vegetable lard is made from vegetable oils :) haha...I took the photo to send to my husband when he was away working as I knew it would make him jealous :D

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Apparently it is made into a solid form through hydrogenation (I had to google that bit lol)

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

I like how Emma worrying about her dad eating day old toad in the hole left out of the fridge has ended in a discussion on toad in the hole and how it is made :D

Col
07-11-13, 22:50
Is it the much more painful version of a frog in the throat?

:roflmao:

Yummy Annie's dinner looks scrumptious have to agree with your hubby Annie - got to be lard.:yesyes: some things were made for each other. Like fish & chips , or salt & vinegar , and lard for Yorkshire puds preferably animal lard. Can't beat it. Proper food. X

debs71
07-11-13, 22:57
God, I love toad in the hole.

It is quite fattening, but not something you would have every day, so once in a while is fine I think.

Delicious!:dribble:

Your Dad will be fine Emma. My Mum's philosophy when it comes to possibly dodgy food is as long as it isn't green, it's all good, lol.:roflmao:

Fishmanpa
08-11-13, 00:01
I have been to Arlington which I think is in Virginia?

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

I also have some friends in Fredericksburg

That's within an hour and a half from me. I'm west of there near the Blue Ridge Mountains (Can see them from my door and they're all around us).