PDA

View Full Version : Scared of swallowing food into lungs :(

channie009
06-11-13, 21:07
For the last month i've been dealing with anxiety when eating.

Whatever food i'm eating, I can't stop myself from worrying that my food is going into my lungs, or even going into any part of my body that isn't my stomach.

It seems to have gotten worse since a few weeks ago when I coughed so hard that it caused pain all throughout my neck. Since then, i've been worrying that something has gone wrong in my throat and that most of the food I swallow is going into my lungs.

I can't stand it anymore.
I dunno how to find a way to stop me worrying without googling and worrying more :(
I don't wanna lose anymore weight either..

Is anyone got anything they can reassure me with? :(

Fishmanpa
06-11-13, 21:27
Aspiration, or swallowing food or water into your lungs is something that doesn't happen to normal healthy people. If it does, your body's natural response is to choke and cough it out.

I know about this because I have to worry about it due to the cancer I had. The radiation treatments have compromised my swallowing and food gets caught up in my throat. I have to drink water with every bite I take. My epiglottis (the thing that prevents food from going down the wrong tube) has been compromised as well. So I can tell you with all assurance, especially in light of your young age, this is something you don't need to worry about.

Please seek help for your HA. You're much too young to be pre-occupied with things like this. It makes my heart sad seeing so many suffering for no reason :(