PDA

View Full Version : I've gained over a stone from olanzapine??

Hayley1982
07-11-13, 09:49
Hi just wanting to talk to other people on this med I've gone from weighing 7 stone 2 till 8 stone 8 have other people put weight on. I don't really eat much one meal a day and maybe a sandwich lunch time yet I'm putting on weight. This med is helping me a lot tho it's just the weight gain. Xx

sambomonkee
07-11-13, 10:00
Join the club :), I'm on Risperidone, another Atypical and they really pile on the pounds, I put on three stone in a month, its evened out now, thankfully.

Basically they both change the way you deal with sugar, you body on these drugs struggles to deal with sugary food and drink so just turns it into fat (hence the reason you will be offered a blood test at some point to check blood sugar levels).

The best idea is to cut down on all sugar things you have, as I have cut down on fizzy drinks and it made a massive difference.

Canbud
10-11-14, 22:51
Hi just wanting to talk to other people on this med I've gone from weighing 7 stone 2 till 8 stone 8 have other people put weight on. I don't really eat much one meal a day and maybe a sandwich lunch time yet I'm putting on weight. This med is helping me a lot tho it's just the weight gain. Xx

It's a weight-gainer alright. But man did I feel good on it. :) Mostly my weight was in my midsection--bloated me like crazy.

It also gave me twitches--they're called something, the name of which escapes me.

dedalus
27-02-16, 10:31
I have been on olanzapine for 6 months and in that time I have gained 3 kilos.

It's not a huge amount but I am thinking of trying to taper it off now because I don't want to continue gaining weight.

I took risperidone for a long time and never really gained any weight. I don't think. I actually lost a lot of weight in the last two years. However, when I switched to olanzapine it seems that the weight has started to creep up. :scared15:

gregcool
29-02-16, 10:44
I took 5mg for 2 years and gained 4 stone .i couldnt believe it.every month looking bigger to the point i was 15st..iv been cutting down for the last 4 months.im now on 2.5mg and plan to cut that in half on the next couple of weeks.im now 12st 10.so lost 2st 3 pounds..nasty drug

diamondgeezer65
04-06-17, 12:28
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Been on olanzpine 5mg for a year and gained 4 stone. Tried coming off it dropped down to 2.5mg but had to go back up due to nasty withdrawals.

aprilmoon
04-06-17, 13:19
I'm on 2 of the most worst offenders olanzapine and mirtazapine and have managed to lose nearly3 and a half stone since last Aug by going to slimming world.Im on 10mg

SEANML
21-04-20, 12:28
Very helpful topic. I am also on 10-20 mg olanzapine and 30mg mirt. Deadly combo. I try to eat 1 meal a day but once I take the meds at bed time. Oh noz I crave a cliff bar and a whole bag of dates. Then I sleep lol. I am trying to fight that massive craving.

I will try limiting sugars as I read above.

panic_down_under
21-04-21, 12:00
I am also on 10-20 mg olanzapine and 30mg mirt.

How are you doing on the duloxetine?