PDA

View Full Version : Doctor scribed amitrip for sleep but also on cipralex!?

dlou84
07-11-13, 09:56
So doctors have gave me this drug to try and get of zopiclone but I also take cipralex in the morning 20mg AD

I have been given 10mg upto 20mg at night but scared of serotonin over load!

Any one else taken it with other ad's?

Mark13
07-11-13, 17:36
Serotonin sydrome is very rare, the GPs know this, especially if you're taking a small amount of at least one of the drugs.

For example, I've been on mirtazapine 15mg for 6 years, but I've also taken it at various times alongside fluoxetine, citalopram, pregabalin and duloxetine, without any issues.

Presently I'm taking 70-100mg of amitriptyline a day alongside the 15mg mirtazapine. Works great for me.

Anti-depressant combinations are quite commonly used on patients who haven't responded well to single drug therapies. Also, some are just prescribed to help you sleep (amitriptyline, mirtazapine, trazodone) at low doses.

yenool
09-11-13, 20:26
I've been prescribed citalopram and amitriptyline together before now........ a higher dose of amitriptyline too.

20mg of amitriptyline is a very low dose - given or pain or sleep only, it will have minimal effect on serotonin at that level. For treatment of depression they use it at 75 - 200mg.

Tero
04-12-13, 23:34
I've been prescribed citalopram and amitriptyline together before now........ a higher dose of amitriptyline too.

20mg of amitriptyline is a very low dose - given or pain or sleep only, it will have minimal effect on serotonin at that level. For treatment of depression they use it at 75 - 200mg.
Same here. There may be some interaction, not sure. I could skip the amitriptyline anytime for a few days.