PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever been on 2 AD's?

Amandala
07-11-13, 17:21
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with 2 AD's at the same time for anxiety/panic/depression. I am on 20mg of celexa, and 20mg of imipramine. Oh, and my xanax :)
I felt like the celexa wasn't doing anything at all so I saw a new psych and she feels that I have maxed out all of my SSRI and SNRI options, so we are trying this tricyclic with the celexa. I am so scared of that serotonin syndrome but she said they are both such low doses that wouldn't happen. It's been 2 weeks since I started the imipramine and I am not sure I am feeling and better, or worse for that matter.
Any thoughts?

Annie0904
07-11-13, 17:31
I take a tricylic...Dosulepin. I have also taken Clordiaxipoxide with it but have stopped that one now.

NoPoet
07-11-13, 17:46
The NaSSA class is another option. I'm on mirtazapine. Initial benefits come more quickly than some other meds and I don't seem to get the dreadful negative effects of SSRIs. I always, always recommend building a support network - therapist, Samaritans, helpful friends - there's no shame in asking for help and help is available. Anxiety is tougher to beat when you face it alone. Humans are social, they need each other, so don't overlook this when you're working to recover.

Mark13
08-11-13, 18:13
2 ADs is quite common, when you have gone through the single drug route with your GP.

Usual combinations are with mirtazapine though:

SSRI or SNRI + mirtazapine
TCA + mirtazapine

I've taken 15mg mirtazapine alongside fluoxetine, pregabalin, duloxetine and now amitriptyline.

There's always the risk of serotonin sydrome but your GP would weigh up the risk. Obviously the risk increases with dosage. This is probably why one of a combination is usually a low (less than therapeutic) dose.

Amandala
08-11-13, 18:53
Thanks everyone,
I'm trying to focus on the positive that this might actually help me for once and stop worrying about what could happen...
I've been on SSRI's since I was 15, I'm 32 now- I did try cymbalta for a bit but it stopped working. When we met a few weeks ago for the first time it brought me to tears when she said she knows I have been "better" but I haven't been "well" for a long time.
I'm not sure if the plan is to get off the celexa or to stay on the 2, I see her again in December.
I do see my GP next week so I'll see what he thinks, he had been handling my meds for a few years and finally referred me to a psychologist since he ran out of options that he was familiar with.
Thanks for all the support!

loufitz
27-03-14, 12:53
I am on 125 of imipramine and 20mg of fluoxetine they mostly work but do still feel 'on edge'