PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

tommy
10-07-04, 20:30
Hi,
My name's Tommy. I've suffered from agoraphobia and claustrophobia for 12 years. Although it does not affect my day to day activities, it does have a big effect on my quality of life (travelling away from home & not being able to get back is my problem, also not being in control of when I can come home i.e on a boat,train or plane). My dream is to be able to travel the world & experience life rather than having a limiting (but still fun!) existence as at present.

It took me a long time to tell my friends about my phobia but once I did I found they are very supportive.

From a stage about 6years ago when I couldn't go outside of my town, I do travel and have been as far as Liverpool but I have to take my car (thats my comfort thing).

I am having CBT therapy which is helping and I have made great strides in the last few months (stayed in London for 2 nights without my car and went on a boat to Isle of Wight for a day).

This is a great website & I hope we can all support each other in a condition which I find very frustrating and embarrassing to deal with and talk about.

Tommy xx

nomorepanic
10-07-04, 20:51
Hi Tommy

Welcome to the forum.

You sound very positive which is great news and you seem able to do things so that is great!

Good news about the CBT - how is it going?

We don't get embarrassed here - we all talk openly and support each other so we look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Great to have you on board!

Nicola

seh1980
10-07-04, 20:53
Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the site! I'm sure you'll find as much support here as I have done over the past through months. I suffer from panic attacks and agoraphobia as well so can understand what you are going through. It sounds like you are coping and fighting it quite effectively so well done!! Let us know how you get on. Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

sal
10-07-04, 21:52
Hi Tommy

Welcome to the site. You seem to be on a very postive way forward. You are definately not letting it beat you. Although you feel your quality of life is not as much as it could be, due to your fears, you are challenging them bit by bit.

I am like you, like to be in my car then im in control. Have this year gone abroad but found it hard because i wasnt in control. Understand completely where you are coming from there.

You will find loads of support on here, and so many people who understand and are going through what you are.

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Love Sal xx

Meg
10-07-04, 23:07
Tommy,

Welcome to the site and congratulations on doing so much already to help yourself.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch