PDA

View Full Version : Eating healthy, preventative measures?

Ellewoods
07-11-13, 17:58
So all of us on here are suffering from this terrible health anxiety...so I also try to be proactive and do things that should benefit my health. One of the things I do is buy household cleaning products and soaps and such that are natural. I try to do the same with food although my eating habits are not wonderful.

I have been reading a lot about the benefits of green tea and chia seeds so I plan on purchasing them. I also read a lot of conflicting stuff on supplements and also on eating an alkaline diet. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips on supplements, foods, etc, things that have helped or that they have researched.

skippy66
07-11-13, 21:28
I've been through almost every diet and supplement on the market in order to get rid of my symptoms. Nothing worked and as I result I wasted hundreds of pounds finding out that nothing worked.

Eating healthily is an excellent idea. If you think of us as plants which need constant nutrition and water to grow strong and healthy then you can't go far wrong.

A good diet is helpful but it's not going to cure your health anxiety - this needs to come from a change in your mindset about life and illness in general.

Fishmanpa
07-11-13, 21:40
Skippy is correct. Diet alone will not cure or treat your health anxiety however, a healthy diet can make you feel better and that in turn may help to alleviate symptoms (stomach problems, stamina etc.) which in turn will stave off anxiety issues.

Ellewoods
07-11-13, 21:58
I wasn't implying that eating healthy will cure the health anxiety, just that eating better and certain foods can help us, such as those with anti-oxidants and I was wondering if anybody had read up a bit on this.

Fishmanpa
07-11-13, 22:02
I wasn't implying that eating healthy will cure the health anxiety, just that eating better and certain foods can help us, such as those with anti-oxidants and I was wondering if anybody had read up a bit on this.

It just makes sense that eating healthy would have it's benefits. I know eating poorly (like lots of fast food etc.) makes you lethargic, messes with your stomach and digestive tract etc.

Ellewoods
08-11-13, 00:08
Maybe I'm not being clear. There are certain supplements for ex, Rhodiola Rosea that are supposed to have an anti-anxiety benefits as well as anti-oxidant properties, was wondering if anyone had any positive experience with any of these things.... I tried RR and it didn't help with anxiety but always looking for others...

Lilharry
08-11-13, 09:09
I have had positive experiences with supplements and dietary changes. My advice would be to see a natural health practitioner who you can talk through your symptoms with and they will be able to prescribe the things appropriate for you. One who knows how to do muscle testing would be really beneficial because they will be able to accurately pin point what will work for you. It's different for everyone and randomly trying a bunch of different supplements can be very expensive and is pointless. It's best to get some professional advice about what to use.

In terms of dietary changes, cutting out sugar and wheat have helped me immensely and changing to an akaline diet. Do some reasearch about why these changes can help - I believe it's so important to understand how the body works and what nutrition can do for you - stuff that doctors don't tell you because they don't learn about it! There's a fantastic book called the Perfect Health Diet that I would highly recommend.

Once you've got the diet and supplements underway etc I would also highly recommend meditation. If you can work that in too you will soon be feeling fantastic!