PDA

View Full Version : Feeling panicky, need to chat.

Katty1303
07-11-13, 20:59
Hi is there anyone on here who can give me some pointers to stop me feeling like I'm about to have a massive panic attack any minute. I no it's because it's evening time and I dread going to bed because I suffer occasionally from night/sleep panic attacks. X

Annie0904
07-11-13, 21:30
Do some breathing exercises to help calm you down. Breathe in slowly through your nose, hold it for 4 seconds and let it out through your nose slowly. Keep repeating until you feel calmer. Watching a comedy helps me too.

skippy66
07-11-13, 21:35
Yep - challenge yourself right now to have a massive panic attack. Let the symptoms wash over you, face them, don't fear them. The fear is what causes the panic, and only by facing these fears can you overcome them and stop the panic.

When I got dizzy in supermarkets I overcame it by saying 'go on then, faint'. I willed myself to faint on the spot, and I couldn't do it. Doing this goes against every fibre in your body and it seems totally counter-productive, but believe me it's the only way to stop it. By facing it, the fear is removed and your symptoms go away.

Gina9
09-11-13, 10:12
Yep - challenge yourself right now to have a massive panic attack. Let the symptoms wash over you, face them, don't fear them. The fear is what causes the panic, and only by facing these fears can you overcome them and stop the panic.

When I got dizzy in supermarkets I overcame it by saying 'go on then, faint'. I willed myself to faint on the spot, and I couldn't do it. Doing this goes against every fibre in your body and it seems totally counter-productive, but believe me it's the only way to stop it. By facing it, the fear is removed and your symptoms go away.

This is actually something that helped me a lot especially at night time, I say that too, I say 'come on then' and instead of the full blown panic I just feel a bit shaky. Still not nice but it seems to make me feel a bit better.

skippy66
09-11-13, 10:20
This is actually something that helped me a lot especially at night time, I say that too, I say 'come on then' and instead of the full blown panic I just feel a bit shaky. Still not nice but it seems to make me feel a bit better.

It's so difficult to do but when you realise that it's the only way to reduce the panic, that is usually all the motivation you need to try it.

By submitting to the panic symptoms you lose the fear of them, and they go away. It's the fear which causes the whole thing.

Gina9
09-11-13, 10:27
It's so difficult to do but when you realise that it's the only way to reduce the panic, that is usually all the motivation you need to try it.

By submitting to the panic symptoms you lose the fear of them, and they go away. It's the fear which causes the whole thing.

Yes, I completely agree, part of it with me is just growing so tired of it too, I suppose when you start to feel like that it's definitely losing it's power as the fear is going like you said.

Eyji1
09-11-13, 11:06
Exactly what Skippy said.