PDA

View Full Version : Lying in bed terrified

scrumking
09-11-13, 06:13
I can't get it out of my head that if I fall asleep I will not wake up in the morning tomorrow I have this intense feeling that I am going to die tonight in my sleep of a heart attack, stroke or brain aneurysm I am literally crying as I write this.

My wife is sleeping soundly beside me and every time I look at her I get more fearful as I don't want to leave her a widow at 37 I am 31 had an ekg and a 24 hour holter 3 months ago but can't shake the feeling that something is terrible wrong with my heart and tonight is the night. Please I ask that you don't respond if you are going to tell me dying in my sleep is the most peaceful way as I am so terrified of death that no matter how I die it scares me

Andria24
09-11-13, 06:19
Scrum - what is wrong with you us that you're ill ... you have anxiety disorder. You need to recover from that, just like you would any illness, in order for frightening/intrusive thoughts to recede.

You're not going to go in your sleep, you don't have a serious illness but you will have a serious sleep debt (which will make everything worse) if you don't rest.

Please consider dealing with the illness that you do have. Make a doctors appointment and discuss ways and means of helping you recover. You're fine by the way, just get some rest :hugs:

willous1
09-11-13, 06:19
Firstly, the thought you are getting is anxiety and you know that deep down. What were the results 3 months back? Sounds like you were fine. Have you got any diazapam or anything as you need to calm down. I have had loads of nights like your having and guess what, I'm still here. Please think about something you enjoy like music maybe and just sleep. In the morning, look outside and realise how irrational you were being. My name is Sean and probably the least rational person in this world but I can be rational when it comes to other people. You are fine end off.

scrumking
09-11-13, 06:27
I am currently on cipralex and doing cbt therapy I know I have anxiety but the what ifs are killing me right now I just wanna live a long life

Insomniac
09-11-13, 22:08
Hi there. I hope you have managed to get some sleep. I find that lack of sleep is one thing which is certain to make my anxiety and palpitations worse. Try to remember the positive results from the checks your doctor did. Keep up the good work, CBT is really worthwhile. I find breathing exercises help loads, after reading here about the effects of adrenaline on our bodies, regulating and slowing my breathing makes a difference. Hope this helps.

suze62
11-11-13, 03:19
I'm always terrified I wont wake up. I try to distract my brain reading,listening to calming music even playing video games. Try find something to distract yourself. The are not rational thoughts so you wont be able to calm yourself by trying to rational them.

Insomniac
16-11-13, 09:28
. The are not rational thoughts so you wont be able to calm yourself by trying to rational them.

This is so true. It's really frustrating when they are going around in your head, you know in your heart they are (probably!) not real, but it's so hard to convince yourself.

This site is a real sanity saver. We all have ups and downs, and have the personal experience and ability to help each other. Thank goodness for nmp and all the wonderful people here

scrumking, I do hope you are feeling better. I often lie there while my husband sleeps and worry I will leave him and our daughter behind. The what ifs are a truly horrible thing, but CBT is extremely useful. We just need to remember to keep practicing so we get really good at it.