PDA

View Full Version : Nightly blood clot fears. :(

well-then
09-11-13, 12:48
I'm an 18 year old girl without risk factors - I don't smoke, I don't need to take birth control, and I'm not overweight. Still, every time I try to sleep, I find myself paranoid that I have a blood clot in my legs. As a university student, I sometimes have no choice but to sit down for long periods of time to study.

I've been effectively avoiding googling symptoms (I'm very proud that I've been able to resist lately), but the paranoia still eats away at me. Tonight in particular, I've been feeling a slight stabbing sensation in my calf - though it's only moderate and on-again-off-again, so I'm trying not to take it too seriously. I've just finished an exam - one where I sat down studying for ages.

I can't go and get checked - mother dearest is will not tolerate me expressing my fears, and I can't deal with confrontation at the moment. Especially if it turns out to be nothing - she'd never let me live it down, and she's got enough material against me already.

There's no swelling or redness (though it's hard to tell when you have a dark complexion), but I can't stop fretting over it and losing sleep. :\

Gina9
09-11-13, 13:43
I'm an 18 year old girl without risk factors - I don't smoke, I don't need to take birth control, and I'm not overweight. Still, every time I try to sleep, I find myself paranoid that I have a blood clot in my legs. As a university student, I sometimes have no choice but to sit down for long periods of time to study.

I've been effectively avoiding googling symptoms (I'm very proud that I've been able to resist lately), but the paranoia still eats away at me. Tonight in particular, I've been feeling a slight stabbing sensation in my calf - though it's only moderate and on-again-off-again, so I'm trying not to take it too seriously. I've just finished an exam - one where I sat down studying for ages.

I can't go and get checked - mother dearest is will not tolerate me expressing my fears, and I can't deal with confrontation at the moment. Especially if it turns out to be nothing - she'd never let me live it down, and she's got enough material against me already.

There's no swelling or redness (though it's hard to tell when you have a dark complexion), but I can't stop fretting over it and losing sleep. :\

Please don't take this in a rude way, but if you're 18 can't you decide to go to the doctor's yourself if you feel you need to? Again, I don't mean to sound rude, my mum sounds like yours.

well-then
09-11-13, 13:50
Please don't take this in a rude way, but if you're 18 can't you decide to go to the doctor's yourself if you feel you need to? Again, I don't mean to sound rude, my mum sounds like yours.

No, it was a legitimate question, and not rude at all. uvu

To be completely honest, she just has a mostly psychological hold over me - and since I've just become legally an adult, it's become a turbulent time because she's having trouble accepting it.

I would fight her for it right now if I could, but I'm severely worn down from anxiety and exam stress, so I just don't have any energy to be subject to one of her tirades.

jayjoe18
09-11-13, 13:51
I used to have this fear too during my health anxiety, I once broke down in the doctors when getting a blood test (to convince me nothing was wrong) because I thought she would burst the clot with the needle and make it travel to my heart. Totally ridiculous but you just don't have control over these worries so don't feel bad. Can you not go to the doctors without your mum knowing? It might help put your mind at rest?

Fishmanpa
09-11-13, 13:54
if you're 18 can't you decide to go to the doctor's yourself if you feel you need to?.

That's not the issue in this case I'm afraid. At 18, with no risk factors, it's very highly unlikely that you have a blood clot or anything else serious. A trip to the doctor will confirm that and perhaps quell the anxiety temporarily but as we all know, the HA cycle cannot be broken without help.

Well Then.... Gina has a point. At 18, you can ask for help on your own without your mother's permission and without confrontation, however, the help needed is not from a medical doctor. I don't know if you're still in school but perhaps a guidance counselor or teacher can help you find someone to address your anxiety issues. Maybe a relative or friends parents can help?

Good Luck

well-then
09-11-13, 14:10
Yeah, I've just booked myself an appointment to see a university counsellor next week, and I guess I'm going to have to wait it all out until then. :( I could sneak over to a GP or something, I suppose, but it would be very hard to do so during exams, and I'm pretty sure that reassurance from a doctor would only have a temporary effect.

I just need to find a way to get to sleep in between now and my appointment, haha!

Katty1303
09-11-13, 18:53
I agree with all the above! If this is troubling when you have had to sit still for long periods try getting up for a little walk around every half hour or move your legs and feet a little bit under your desk, during these periods. I'm not saying this will stop your worry nor am I saying this will or will not stop you having a blood clot which given your comment is highly unlikely regardless if how long you sit still for. But it may help put your mind at ease knowing you haven't sat still for so long?.. X