PDA

View Full Version : need some good advice

jomotion
09-11-13, 13:02
Hi everyone
This is the first time I have ever posted on a site.
I have been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for 14 years now.i dont have it all the time but when i do get it I get it.
I have had coucilling but dident help.
I am on sertraline and have been for the last 14 years.
My dad gets it also and my sister and my brother to but they dont get it like I get it.
I have been teary for the last couple of days due to ralationship problems witch dosent help my anxiety.
Could someone please help.

Andria24
09-11-13, 13:10
Hey Jo - welcome :welcome:

From the little you've said, in your shoes, I would make a doctors appointment in order to look at alternative methods of treatment. Clearly your meds and therapy haven't helped you to fully recover.

As an example I've had in depth discussions with my doctor and psyche nurse. That is what they are there for therefore I have ensured that my needs, thoughts and wishes have been heard. For me it would appear that a primary course of counselling will be followed by a longer term course of CBT. I am also on meds (fluoxetine, low dose) and this appears to suit me and what I need.

If, at some point something doesn't feel right, or fit the circumstances, I will revisit what works, what doesn't, and have the treatment tailored once again.

So saying that I think this would be a great course of action for you. One size does not fit all. You might have been better with a combined therapeutic approach, or different meds, you know?

Hopefully you'll find some support and advice from the site - there's plenty of us in the same boat :)

jomotion
09-11-13, 19:56
Hi andria
Thankyou for your advise.i havent had any cbt treatment thats why I went to my doctor to ask about it. All he did was gave me a workbook and a link to a web site called edspace.
I have no idea how to go about finding a support group or cbt.
Do you know were I could maybe find help like this I live in edinburgh scotland.

Andria24
09-11-13, 20:11
There should be a local service provision Jo. Also there's some free CBT help available somewhere on this site. Have a scout around, it's here somewhere :)

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

I found this: CBT Edinburgh (http://www.health-in-mind.org.uk/services/guided-self-help.html)