PDA

View Full Version : TIME ANXIETY

LLADDIS
05-11-06, 17:55
My therapist has helped me to realise that one of my main anxieties is around TIME .. Not just worrying about being late but a real compulsion to check the time repeatedly ...

Eg when keeping an appointment I can leave maybe 10 mins early to allow myself PLENTY of time just in case which is a pretty normal thing to do ..BUT ... I still find myself repeatedly checking my watch or looking at the car clock whilst driving just in case I got it wrong ??
I have tried leaving my watch off etc .. but not knowing the time just winds me up more and more and I create anxiety by not knowing

I have a totaly false concept of time !!! sometimes 5 mins seems like 30
and sometimes the other way round

To anyone unable to understand what I mean - think of John Clease in the film CLOCKWORK

Things have gotten so bad that I often over allow travelling time - just in case I am late by maybe 30 mins or so

Has anyone any ideas of any thing to help me get rid of this one

LIFES A BEACH THEN THE TIDE COMES IN AND GIVES YOU CHANCE TO SWIM

baxwalker
05-11-06, 21:55
Hi John,

I'm not sure if I can be of any help but I do understand that your time anxiety must be awful.

It's quite likely that in this ever faster moving age and particularly in this country, most of us suffer from time anxieties to some degree.

I always over allow time for journeys - especially as most of my longer journeys mean I HAVE to use the dreaded M25.

So ..... to comensate and save myself any time related stress, I allow anything up to 2 hours extra on my jouney. I then travel relatively stress free and often find that near my destination I have plenty of time to stop and have a hot drink, read the paper and arrive refreshed.

My start time at work is officially 9am but I am always there at 8am. I sit at my desk with a drink and think the day ahead, read my emails etc. By the time 9am comes I am reasonably prepared for the day.

I know - this shouldn't all be necessary but it's my way of handling it.

My current job as manager of a busy oil terminal is very stressful and I want 'out' as soon as finances allow. As a manger I get severe pressure from above and hassle and childish behaviour from those in my charge in the offices plus the direct responsibilty of running a fleet of tankers and drivers. In preparation, I have started a small business which I run on Saturdays and some Sunday mornings. It is service related. I can pick and choose my customers, my start time and more or less how much I want to do during the day. No time constraints - bliss!!

I know that as soon as I can afford to do this full time, a lot of my stress problems will diminish. Until then, I've just got to make the best of it.

Best wishes

You are not alone.

John

LLADDIS
05-11-06, 22:47
Bax walker
Its great to know that I am not alone .

Now this is realy odd because I too have set up a business selling part time on Ebay . In just under 2 years I will be able to retire as a Police officer and make no mistake I am going to do so and develop my business at my pace and in my own time

I think that maybe its being in the service of others instead of putting "SELF FIRST " is a causative factor

baxwalker
06-11-06, 20:54
Hi John

What a coincidence eh? I also do a bit of Ebaying too. My other part time job is window cleaning using high reach poles and pure water - no ladders for safety reasons. I can clean up to third floor windows without leaving the ground... Needed a lot of research and I had to develop quite a skill to guarantee a first class job but I'm well into it now. And - of course it keeps me fit as I'm mainly office based in the week.

I dabbled with renovating old Dansette record players and selling on Ebay but too many others into now. Plenty of other areas to look at though.

Good luck with your venture - i'm sure like me, it will be your 'saving grace' as they say.

Cheers

John

LLADDIS
15-11-06, 10:01
I think we all need a passion of some kind it is what keeps us going
I find my developing business is a real challenge and it is giving me a lot of distraction therapy
Love to all XX
JOHN

JennyW
16-11-06, 11:13
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">My therapist has helped me to realise that one of my main anxieties is around TIME .. Not just worrying about being late but a real compulsion to check the time repeatedly ...

Eg when keeping an appointment I can leave maybe 10 mins early to allow myself PLENTY of time just in case which is a pretty normal thing to do ..BUT ... I still find myself repeatedly checking my watch or looking at the car clock whilst driving just in case I got it wrong ??
I have tried leaving my watch off etc .. but not knowing the time just winds me up more and more and I create anxiety by not knowing

I have a totaly false concept of time !!! sometimes 5 mins seems like 30
and sometimes the other way round

To anyone unable to understand what I mean - think of John Clease in the film CLOCKWORK

Things have gotten so bad that I often over allow travelling time - just in case I am late by maybe 30 mins or so

Has anyone any ideas of any thing to help me get rid of this one

<div align="right">Originally posted by LLADDIS - 05 November 2006 : 17:55:30</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I can totally relate to this as I suffered with it very badly after losing my father. time was such a big issue in my life. It still affects me now but not as bad. I would also panic about trying to fit everything and worried that I didn't have enough time to do it all. I would get very stressed. I could never be without my watch or a clock nearby. Every room in my house has a clock - even the bathroom.

I read something once in a magazine (something about relaxing), that for one day during the weekend, we should take off our watch and ignore time and just let the day go by and take it as it comes. I'm yet to try this.....

LLADDIS
21-11-06, 10:44
Jenny
I have read the same article although I cant remeber where it was from .I tried to go on holiday to Ibiza this summer and not take my watch with me ... I lasted for 24hrs and then anxiety took over and I bought a cheap but cheerfull one in order to survive (definate safety behaviours there)
The only snag with letting the day go by is the fact that others are dependant upon us and NOT performing in this direction would in its self cause Anxiety for me
It would be good if there could be a way to escape the clutches of time and dependance on others for a few days and be totally pampered hand and foot but maybe thats a Pipe dream ....
Regards
JOHN x