PDA

View Full Version : Please can someone help me....

LE
10-11-13, 22:14
I woke up Friday with a sore throat and general unwell feeling. Sinuses seem to be really sore and I have really sticky thick mucus.

But my neck feels sore, mainly right side. When I press right in quite hard I feel a few little balls. I felt them before but was only able to find them sometimes. I am so scared they are lymph nodes and sign of cancer.

I've had an ENT feel my neck about 10 weeks ago and he said no swollen glands but what are these.... I'm scared

ecila92
10-11-13, 22:23
Hi,

You sound exactly like me almost a year ago! Like you, I found a movable lump in my neck, they're called lymph nodes, they're a part of our immune system and help to fight off infections - in your case, a cold!

Don't worry about it, I spent months worrying about that lump and went to the doctors so many times and they just looked at me like I was mad.

They take a few weeks, sometimes months to go away, but don't touch it as it will only make them worse and they won't go down.

LE
10-11-13, 23:27
They are not easy to find all the time. I really have to prod in. And doctors have told me that I have no swollen glands. But I don't understand how they can say that when I can feel these deep in.

Daisy Sue
10-11-13, 23:33
I'd say that the fact you have all those cold/virus symptoms at the moment, your glands probably will be slightly swollen as you're fighting an infection. Ten weeks ago when you were examined by the ENT you probably didn't have this infection, so therefore he didn't detect anything.

Don't worry - your glands are doing what they're supposed to, and will go back down once your cold or virus has gone.

Fishmanpa
10-11-13, 23:38
They are not easy to find all the time. I really have to prod in. And doctors have told me that I have no swollen glands. But I don't understand how they can say that when I can feel these deep in.

We have 500-600 lymph nodes in our bodies. Several dozen in the head and neck area alone (I had over 25 removed in my cancer surgery to my neck). If you have to prod "deep in" to feel them, then they're not swollen and your doctor is correct. However, being that the lymph nodes are the "sewer system" of your body, it's not unusual at all to get them when suffering a cold, virus or sore throat as they're doing what they're meant to be doing.

Feel better.

LE
11-11-13, 00:25
I think what's worried me is because my neck feels sore....

---------- Post added at 00:20 ---------- Previous post was at 00:18 ----------

Meant to say on the neck sore front... I started back working out at the gym last week. Just 30minutes of cardio but did it 4 days. I'm not sure I' soreness is muscle tightness and just coincidence that I've developed the throat pain, viral type illness at same time and nothing to do with what's causing the neck ache.

No idea. Just know I'm starting to panic.

---------- Post added at 00:25 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

Or also of its veins???

LE
11-11-13, 10:22
I went to gp and it's a gland!!

I'm terrified.

He said its because I have a virus. He said its small and soft and it's the body doing its job.

I feel sick to my stomach incase this is it getting bigger. Because I have something bad wrong.

Fishmanpa
11-11-13, 11:56
I went to gp and it's a gland!!

I'm terrified.

He said its because I have a virus. He said its small and soft and it's the body doing its job.

I feel sick to my stomach incase this is it getting bigger. Because I have something bad wrong.

Did you not read what a couple of us posted above? You have nothing "bad" wrong with you. You have a virus and your body is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing. When the virus goes away, the glands will eventually go down too. DO NOT poke and prod them as you will only make it worse.

Feel better soon!

Andria24
11-11-13, 12:08
LE may I further add that, the next time you're at the doctors, you discuss your anxiety disorder. That is the important issue here, and it is, after all, an illness that sufferers tend to overlook in their quest for a life-threatening diagnosis.

LE
11-11-13, 12:36
Fishmanpa
I appreciate everyone's help.
But what worries me is that I felt these maybe 8 weeks ago. The ENT said there was nothing swollen.

I'm worried that it's just a coincidence that I have the virus and they did actually get bigger.

But the gp says that everyone will have some glands they can feel and that even in its slightly swollen state it's tiny.....

So now I'm scared incase there is something to worry about.

Fishmanpa was your gland a decent size?P

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Hi andria24

Thanks. The doctors are aware I have a diagnosis of health anxiety. I am on meds and see a psychologist. I have been doing very well and not been to gp. But I do worry.

Andria24
11-11-13, 12:44
Hi andria24

Thanks. The doctors are aware I have a diagnosis of health anxiety. I am on meds and see a psychologist. I have been doing very well and not been to gp. But I do worry.

LE I think it's still worth expressing your concerns re the fact that your anxiety is creeping up, rather than down? And try and remind yourself that this is the issue. You gland is fine. Your doctor said so - why would You trust Fishman over your doctor?

Not that I'm casting aspersions on Fishman's good character, just that he is not the qualified health professional.

Fishmanpa
11-11-13, 13:29
Fishmanpa was your gland a decent size?

You could see it on the side of my neck, there was no doubt. Truly, what you describe doesn't present as anything sinister. Ride out the virus and let your body heal itself. See your doctor if it persists more than a month afterwards and please don't poke and prod your neck, you'll make it worse :)

Good Luck!

---------- Post added at 08:29 ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 ----------

Not that I'm casting aspersions on Fishman's good character, just that he is not the qualified health professional.

Hey now... I got my MD from the school of knocks and the back of a matchbook and don't be messing with a pregnant man! ;)

LE
11-11-13, 14:08
I would worry about this regardless Andria. That's my personality. Believe it or not this is not my anxiety creeping up. I have been in a much much worse place only a few months ago after I delivered my baby. My doctors are happy with the progress I am making as am I and my family.

Yes I know i should not look for reassurance but sometimes it helps. It's no different to feeling 'big' in an outfit and asking a friend for advice to help your confidence.

I am only asking for a bit of support in my time of need and I appreciate all the help and support that has been given. I guess Im asking Fishmanpa as he has been through a lot. But I appreciate everyone's comments.

Fishmanpa, thank you too. This cannot be seen. I guess I fear it will grow to be seen. What ifs... I hate them