PDA

View Full Version : Fear Of Choking

NeatlyHush
11-11-13, 14:19
For a long while now every night I will wake up in bed violently grasping at my throat and choking and begging for help from my fiancee saying I have a tablet stuck in my throat and I need to vomit it up otherwise I will be poisoned.

I never remember any of this the next day and I only know what I do because my very tired fiancee will tell me the next morning.

Can anyone shed any light on this strange sleep walking panic attack.

NoPoet
11-11-13, 19:37
Hi, it sounds like a night terror, which is to nightmares what Hulk Hogan is to bad-tempered, over-protective fathers.

Fear of choking is classed as health anxiety which is the fear of death. It seems that your subconscious isn't going to wait for you to realise this, so it's taken over to broadcast the news personally. Consider whether or not your anxiety levels rise when you think of illness or death, or when you hear them mentioned.

I'm not experienced with night terrors so consider speaking to your doctor or therapist about them, as some people's night terrors relate to fears they claim not to feel while they are awake, so it's going to be handy to get a professional's advice.