PDA

View Full Version : The Doctors trip!?

willous1
11-11-13, 14:44
Hi

I have been off for a couple of days and as a couple of people know went to the doctors today about my anxiety which as really got bad after a hernia op last Monday. I was really positive about going but now want to just give up. He ignored everything I said and just said to go out and think about what I'm doing to other people. I said I am at the end of it and HAVE to get this sorted. He then referred me to something called 'time to talk' which never worked for me in the past. When I asked him to look at the hernia patch as I was really worried about a hard sneeze yesterday that really hurt he said okay. I said 'could it have come out'? And he touched it and said he didn't know and rudely said stand up straight. As I walked out he didn't even say bye. The last doctor was rude too. I just want bloody help and I want it now? Just on side of anxiety, do you think I would have known if hernia had come back out? Or mesh had broke? Now I can't go doctors what do I do?

cattia
11-11-13, 14:55
It does annoy and frustrate me when doctors are like this. I have had doctors be rude too and it makes you feel so rubbish, especially when you ask for help and it seems like there is none. I don't know about hernias, does it hurt? Maybe if you're worried you should book an appointment with a nurse at your surgery but I would think that if its been repaired then its unlikely to pop back out. I was also referred to telephone CBT and when I told the Dr it didn't work for me he said there was nothing else available. However, if nobody will help you then you have to try to help yourself. Have you used any self help methods or relaxation techniques? Is there a different doctor you could see who might be more understanding about your anxiety?

Andria24
11-11-13, 14:58
Willous your hernia is healing fine, so stop worrying about it.

As for the doctor - well done for going and trying. Next, change doctor. If that's not an option speak to the practice manager or, failing that, contact your local PCT. You are entitled to the same service that I am, and mine consists of a team of practitioners that listen to their patients.

Do not be swayed by an impatient individual.

willous1
11-11-13, 17:00
Maybe I will change doctors completely as I have never had one there that wants to help and they make me feel like crap each time I go there. I woke up feeling so much better thinking today would be the day that changes my life them this. Yep, maybe I should try some more self help. Reflexology worked a but for me once funnily enough. I can take my plaster of Thursday do maybe psychologically that will help? I just called a nurse where I had op and she said opposite to doctor and that it would take something big for it to come out and that you would KNOW about it if it happened. But now I wonder why doctor did not say this. Then again does a doctor diagnose more than know about stuff like this etc? ]Plus if a sneeze was to do that then we would all be going back to hospital after an op.

katesa
11-11-13, 18:28
Hi Willous,

It sounds to me like you should change surgeries. Some doctors are better with Anxiety patients, especially Health Anxiety patients, than others.

I swapped surgeries a while ago and never regretted it. Now, I'm not knocking my old GP really - he'd seen me so many times that I'm not surprised he got frustrated. He was an "old school" kinda guy, very busy and I know he resented having me take up so much of his time eventually that he became abrupt. Once I was finally ready to admit I had a problem, he had pretty much lost patience with me. My new doctor however, from the moment I walked in and told her everything, has been amazing.

You deserve understanding and help. If they can't give it to you, go elsewhere if possible chick.

willous1
11-11-13, 19:01
That's really good to hear and happy that you found a great doctor. Before I moved my GP was great but lost patience with me and refused to see me a couple of times. But he was very very good. My new GP is awful, even the receptionist talks to me like crap and laughed once when I called as she must have known it was me before given name. It's a shame because my doctors now is just down the road. I can see why doctors get a bit annoyed but they should understand how severe anxiety is and it has ruined my life. I even told the doctor today that I have lost two jobs in a year to it which I have and he just ignored me. He was very obnoxious.

Andria24
11-11-13, 19:11
Willous I don't know your doctor but he sounds like his social skills have long since dropped off his list of human characteristics.

Sometimes it really isn't you - it's them. Find yourself an understanding doctor. There are plenty out there :)

willous1
11-11-13, 19:25
Need to change doctors and go from
There. Going to just do my best to keep my mind busy at the moment and convince myself there is no problem with the hernia. I keep thinking that if I didn't sneeze yesterday that that would be it but there will always be something.