PDA

View Full Version : Terrifying Asbestos Worry

Ellewoods
11-11-13, 15:53
I moved into an apartment that was completely renovated. When I moved in the landlord did not clean the dust that was all over. I was pregnant and wore a mask and tried to clean it all but the dust was simply everywhere for a long time.

Some time after that I saw that the house was built in the 20's I believe. I also learned that the landlord did not get permits ( I live in the US) and was a shady character. Add to that that there was poor airflow in the apartment. I was able to move after 5 months but since moving out have been terrified by the fact that there may have been asbestos in that apartment. I am simply terrified that I exposed myself and my children to this that I cannot sleep. Obviously looking up information on the internet is not helping.

*EDIT* the house was built in 1931.

willous1
11-11-13, 16:12
Jesus, please DO NOT let this ruin your life. This obsession ruined me for months until I spoke to an expert who informed me on the facts on this. The internet is full of rubbish about it and I know even on here there are people that can put your mind at ease? Maybe Annie I think (Will double check my posts). Anyway without going into it too much, forget it now as your exposure EVEN if it was asbestos would not cause an issue.

Annie0904
11-11-13, 16:19
I think it was first used in domestic buildings around 1940's -50's so if your house was built in 1920 it is unlikely to have had asbestos in it. Even if it did I don't think you would have been exposed to it enough. The main danger was for the workmen who were handling it daily as was my husband. Even with the amount that my husband was exposed to it has not caused serious damage to his health. X Rays show asbestos in the area surrounding his lungs but not to a dangerous degree.
From what you have said I really think you should NOT be worrying about this at all.

Ellewoods
11-11-13, 16:48
Thank you so much. I am so glad I found this forum, it has helped me tremendously even though I am new to it.

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

This obsession ruined me for months until I spoke to an expert who informed me on the facts on this.

Can you share with me what the expert told you? Thanks very much.

I just looked it up, the house was built in 1931.

Annie0904
11-11-13, 16:49
No problem. I am pleased you are finding the forum helpful xx

willous1
11-11-13, 16:57
Hi Ellie, will private message you in a bit. Spoke to someone for about half hour and after months of worry had my mind put at ease. Will PM you soon.

Ellewoods
11-11-13, 19:15
Hi Ellie, will private message you in a bit. Spoke to someone for about half hour and after months of worry had my mind put at ease. Will PM you soon.
Thanks very much.

Ellewoods
13-11-13, 11:58
Still terrified of this and not sleeping. Does anybody else have any experience with this? The guilt over living there with my children is just too overwhelming.

Paddy1982
01-12-15, 16:08
Hi Willous I just stumbled across this old thread and I have a similar worry to Elle I would be very interested in the information that you have offered if you still read this forum? Elle do you still have your concerns or did this information put your mind at rest?
Thanks