PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety levels through the roof, coping techniques?

Gingerspider
11-11-13, 15:55
Hey guys. Been a a GAD sufferer on and off for ten years. Had it at a manageable level for the last 6, from self-help and coping techniques. Got my first proper surgery under GA booked in for Saturday and have been tearing my hair out, highest stress levels in a long long time. All my normal techniques; distraction, visualisation, breathing ect not working (typical). Finding the stress pretty mean to cope with and my health is suffering (cold sores,eczema,tooth infection, lack of sleep) which is obvs not good for my op. Just wondering if you've got some new exciting tips to share to try and bring my heart rate below a 100bpm lol! Anything I might not have tried?

Andria24
11-11-13, 17:39
Ginger it's normal for anyone to feel anxious when it comes to surgery. I guess it's the lack of control etc, and the fact that you're fast asleep. I know when I've had GA's in the past I've always been nervous and you know ... not particularly looked forward to it.

One thing I can share is the fact that no matter how long you're asleep, you just don't realise it. An hour, two, five, it all feels the same. Honest - you go out like a light, next thing you're being woken up. It's really odd how it works. I'm sure someone that's had a long op or two will agree.

The one difference (in my opinion) is that the longer I'm out, the longer it's taken my body to shake off the anaesthetic. I remember after my last one, about an hour and thirty minutes, I came round, sat up, had a cuppa, got my bearings then, when given the chance, dropped back to sleep for a straight 14 hours. I was out way longer in bed that I was when operated on. And it was a good sleep too.

You'll be fine :hugs:

Gingerspider
11-11-13, 18:00
Thanks Andria! How do you cope with the anxiety leading up to it? Most people tell me to distract myself or concentrate on how much better I will feel after...and my brain, being s stubborn as it is, refuses to listen!. Did you have any practical solutions to pre-surgery panic?

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

P.s. I am looking forward to finally getting some sleep too lol!

Andria24
11-11-13, 18:36
Most people fall back on platitudes or hyperbole because they don't know what to say.

Here's the way to do it - on Saturday you're having your op. That's when you can let it bother you. Saturday. Between now and Saturday there are four days. Carry on as normal. You're going to spend an awful lot of time flapping about something that will be over in seconds (it really is like that - once you're ready for the anaesthetic you're out seconds later, then awake again) so why bother? It's that simple.

You can also opt for a pre-med (sedative). Many people do as it settles you right down, and they are effective.

Just accept that you're having the op, that you need the op, and that if you don't have the op you're only going to go through this again some other time. Eyeball it. You're having it. You're going to have a sleepy/cranky weekend post-op but you're going to be fine.

Here's a story - last time I had an op I was fine right up to going to the hospital. I went alone, as I handle stuff better when alone. I started to get jittery once I got changed. I was then put in a room and left to my own devices. This part was horrible. I fair rattled with nerves. Then in walked this big fella who did nothing more than sit down ... then burst into tears. Proper sobbed.

I kid you not. Turns out he was a fireman to boot. Thing is he'd never had an op and was absolutely petrified. I was that shocked by his fear that I pretty much forget my own. I ended up comforting him, boosting his confidence, then we were both called together. Ok I was still nervous but focusing on the fearful fireman helped me handle my own fear - as in we're all the same, we're all just scaredy bags of skin! :D

I went into the room, laid down, folks were chatting to me, sorting me out, them it was a case of catheter in, count to ten and ... awake.

I remember coming round after, in the theatre, then drifting off and wakening back up on the ward. I called a nurse over and asked her when the pain would kick in. She replied "oh don't worry about that for a while yet. We shoved a painkilling suppository up your backside before you woke up ... " :blush:

Gingerspider
11-11-13, 19:12
Thank you so much, you are an oracle of common sense. I had a similar thing when I had my bloods taken the other day. I have to lie down otherwise I get really dizzy and pass out and I apologised to the nurses and they laughed and said don't worry, the majority of people who really freak out are big burly men lol!
A good bit of realistic reassurance is deffos what I need, so i appreciate that. My Dad doesn't have a clue as he's 63 and never had a cold! and my Mum has had every known medical experience and keeps regailing me of the time she hemorrhaged or threw up for 6 days after or got an infection or found out she had cancer lol. It's like a sitcom round my house sometimes!

Andria24
11-11-13, 19:18
OMG Ginger you poor bugger! My dad's like your mum the daft sod.

Here's some of his best ones:
"scared of flying? You should be. All those nuts and bolts, who knows how many are loose or when they were last replaced. It's a wonder wings don't bloody fall off. So - when are you flying again?"

"you're having an operation? Ughhhhhhh ... I almost died last time. Well, I didn't but I could have. God knows what they get up to with your body when you're knocked out. Makes you wonder eh? Well don't worry about it. If you don't wake up it's not like you'll know eh? A blessing really"

"he's scared of the dark? Well he should be. Christ knows what's under the bed or lurking in the shadows. Never trust noises in the night. Or footsteps in the attic ... "

I could go on. And on. He's a great source of comfort, my dad :roflmao:

Gingerspider
11-11-13, 20:04
My surgeon said the best quote "I'm not very good at this type of surgery so I'll have to get somebody in to guide me". I think I could have taken it badly but it was such a ridiculous thing to come out with I actually ended up laughing...he didn't understand why as it wasn't a joke lol.

kahi35
11-11-13, 21:25
hows your blood pressure?

Gingerspider
11-11-13, 23:36
It was a disgraceful 130/99 first measure then 120/88 second time round (after a nice nurse)

kahi35
11-11-13, 23:41
That's good

Gingerspider
11-11-13, 23:51
You'd be surprised how much a white coat and a blue room full of strange bleepy things can give you hypertention! And even more surprised with the help of a very understanding burse how it can go right back down again :)

kahi35
11-11-13, 23:59
Yep. I wish I had that nurse right now.

Gingerspider
12-11-13, 00:07
Yeah, can't have a nurse on call 24 hours a day though (unfortunately) so you've got to deal with the anxiety. If you're new Kahi, you should try having a look through the HA and self help sections of the site. They've helped me on a dark night :)

kahi35
12-11-13, 00:17
Nah I'm not new but visiting sight again cause anxiety coming back.just wanted to visit cause people here understand our stresses.

Gingerspider
12-11-13, 00:21
Yep, we're in it together! There's always the chatroom if you need to talk! Hope it passes soon! :hugs:

kahi35
12-11-13, 00:40
Hey I'm trying to get into chat room but my iPad java system can't get on do you know what can I do to get on?

Gingerspider
12-11-13, 01:08
Not too sure I'm afraid I'm a total techno-phobe. You could try messaging the admin.