PDA

View Full Version : Hi pregablin advice.

ohyehdigit
11-11-13, 17:21
Hi. I've been on Pregablin for 5 months, it was gradually increased to 150mg twice a day. It originally worked really well, but recently It hasn't. It's only just been increased to 150mg x2 recently. Just wanted to know if my doctor could prescribe anything similar? It's a UK doctor..

Thanks

Mark13
11-11-13, 17:32
AFAIK there's nothing similar that's available here and specifically for anxiety.

Anxiety is generally treated with SSRIs first, then SNRIs, or trazodone or mirtazapine, last resort being TCAs and combination therapy.

However, you are only on half the maximum dosage of pregabalin, maybe discuss an increase with your GP?

ohyehdigit
11-11-13, 17:42
I've tried lots of antidepressants. mirtazapine being one of them. Hated mirtazapine, I'm back on Cipralex now, what I was put on in the beginning. What's tca?
I'm actually one of the lucky ones in England & I've got a psychiatrist. So the max UK dose is 600mg daily?

Thanks for the reply :-)

SarahH
11-11-13, 20:02
You could still go up further with your dose of pregabalin.....600mgs max

Mark13
11-11-13, 23:09
I've tried lots of antidepressants. mirtazapine being one of them. Hated mirtazapine, I'm back on Cipralex now, what I was put on in the beginning. What's tca?
I'm actually one of the lucky ones in England & I've got a psychiatrist. So the max UK dose is 600mg daily?

Thanks for the reply :-)
TCA is TriCylic Anti-depressant, those were the earliest compounds, only a few still used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricyclic_antidepressant

I believe 600mg is the max for anxiety in Europe, it's not licenced for that use in the USA.

hanshan
12-11-13, 05:32
The closest thing to pregabalin is gabapentin, but pregabalin overall seems to be safer and more effective.

Many of the drugs previously classed as antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs etc) and occasionally some antipsychotics are also used for anxiety, but its trial and error to see what will work, if at all. Benzodiazepines and the "Z" drugs are the most reliable in the short term, but doctors are reluctant to prescribe them long-term. Beta blockers help some people with physical symptoms.

The good news is that there are several anti-anxiety drugs in development, some at the human trial stage. However, if successful, it will still be some years before they are marketed. Nevertheless, it's worth not giving up hope.

ohyehdigit
14-11-13, 11:43
Thanks for the replies :-)