PDA

View Full Version : Acceptance?

Katty1303
11-11-13, 17:36
Ok so I've been back to the doctors, told him all my worries and all my symptoms and he is still sure its anxiety he's upped my meds and we had a good chat. He says the first step is to accept that these symptoms are anxiety hope fully my cbt lady will help with this.but if anyone has Any tips on doing this I would appreciate it because I really wanna get past this but my stupid thoughts won't stop!

willous1
11-11-13, 17:43
I wish my doctors was like yours. Mine hates me. Sounds like your on the right track.

Andria24
11-11-13, 17:50
Katty one tip is to listen to and trust your doctor. Another is to believe that you can overcome your illness. Distraction and a good family/friends support network is another positive.

You could also try reading up on your illness (within the site, there's lots of good information on the left hand sidebar) in order to understand it better - I've always felt that knowledge is power.

Good luck and all the best for your recovery :hugs:

Katty1303
11-11-13, 17:57
My doctor is lovely he always gives me his time and never makes me feel stupid or like a nussence. Just my anxiety is shouting at the mo and my rationality is hiding lol x

Shivmarie
11-11-13, 18:10
I fully believe in your doctors advice. I was a right mess until I had CBT, and my CBT chap spoke to me in laymens terms, basic, none of this medical terminology lol. The techniques he used I found myself laughing out loud at the simplicity, my first appointment I'd not ate for two days, I had no appitite and I had a panic attack just before going in, after I came out I walked to McDonald's ordered a load of food and generally relaxed, that night I had a pounding head,instead of working myself up to thinking its a brain tumor, I smiled, took two pain relief, turned around and went to sleep. In was discharged after 4 sessions, and I really really believe it helped me. Acceptance is the first stage, good luck xx

katesa
11-11-13, 18:19
These ladies are spot on.

When I was waiting for my therapy to begin, I used to sit and close my eyes when I had a pain/twinge/whatever. I'd ask myself "Is this pain/twinge/whatever *really* as severe as I'm thinking, or is it the worry it's causing me that is severe?". Sure enough, 99% of the time, when being really honest and concentrating, it was the fear that was hurting me, not the pain/twinge/whatever.

I also made myself do some gentle exercise (like taking my 8 month old for a walk) or meditation when I started getting bad. Then remind myself that I wouldn't have been able to do that if my life was in imminent danger.

Katty1303
11-11-13, 20:10
Thing is I'm trapped in cycle of having symptoms then worrying about the symptoms that's bringing on more symptoms can't seem to break the cycle. That's why if I can accept that the symptoms are anxiety, the worry will stop and hopefully the symptoms will too. :shrug: