PDA

View Full Version : So I have MS - but I'm beating Health Anxiety.

katesa
11-11-13, 17:36
Hi all,

I've hesitated to post this as it's not a direct anxiety issue. But then I thought maybe some people would take some reassurance from this.

So despite telling my GP to not refer me for unnecessary tests she was wise enough to refer me for tests she did think were justified (please take note people who think all GP's just don't want to refer anyone.)

I haven't posted about these tests because strangely, I wasn't worried about them - I was scared of lung cancer and it never occurred to me to be scared of something like this and I just assumed those tests would be fine.

However, I was diagnosed with MS at the end of last week. But to my surprise, it hasn't caused a health anxiety relapse. I'm still a lot happier than when I was trapped in the HA cycle, and ya know what? MS isn't life threatening (and if anyone has read otherwise on Doctor Google, keep it to yourself - I trust my Neurologist)

So basically I've done full circle - healthy with health anxiety to technically unhealthy and more or less anxiety free.

And just to re-iterate - trust the doctors everyone. Mine was specifically told to not refer me just for reassurance but she still recognised a possible issue I hadn't even thought of and referred me appropriately.

All the best to you all

Katie

Andria24
11-11-13, 17:46
Katie first of all well done you for accepting your diagnosis and dealing with it as you have. I know it's no fun being given bad news - even if you can live with it, it's the fact that you've got to readjust and so on.

Second, I am sorry to hear that you've got MS, but at the same time your positive attitude will always play a significant part re your well being.

As for the fact that you've gone full circle well ... wow. Goes to show that, when faced with adversity, we accept, we regroup, we move on.

Thanks for sharing and thank you for being so bloody rational :yesyes:

Fishmanpa
11-11-13, 17:56
Hi Katie,

It's an interesting phenomenon psychologically when we hear bad news concerning our health. While it still makes your heart skip a beat, it's actually not as bad as not knowing.

I'm sorry to hear of the diagnosis but you have the right mindset and attitude and believe you me, attitude is the majority of the battle.

"Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we handle it" Charles Swindoll

Knowing that it's treatable and one can live quite a normal life with minimal affects is encouraging. Listen to your docs! ;)

Positive thoughts and prayers!

Shivmarie
11-11-13, 18:00
Best of luck for the future Kate.
It's such a great post. X

katesa
11-11-13, 18:04
Thanks guys. Honestly, while of course I would have preferred to be told "You are fully healthy. Oh and also beautiful", it's not exactly the end of the world. In hindsight, I had the symptoms for as long as I can remember but always put them down to my body being quirky. Yet I got one rare "symptom" of lung cancer and cried like a 4 year old.

My reaction when told was pretty much "Oh bugger". Then the hubby and I took the baby for a long walk and we had a curry at a fabulous little Indian/pub. The world didn't stop, my life didn't flash before my eyes, etc.

Having had more psychotherapy as well as continuing my lifestyle changes, I can honestly say I am in a much better place than when I was in the HA trap. And I have an excuse now for being "Calamity Katie" (my husbands pet name for my clumsy self)

cattia
11-11-13, 19:14
I'm glad to hear that you have a diagnosis and that you are feeling so positive. I know several people who have lived with MS for many many years and you would hardly know there was anything wrong with them. I also believe that it is a condition that is hugely responsive to lifestyle changes. It's great yo hear these kinds of positive stories and it proves that our anxiety can often be worse than the things we fear.

katesa
11-11-13, 21:17
Thank you cattia. I totally agree that lifestyle changes can really help. I'm actually feeling the healthiest I have for a long time. Compared to what many go through, this really isn't the end of the world. Infact now my ha is in remission, I feel like I'm in a whole new better one.

cpe1978
12-11-13, 00:41
Thinkin of ya Katie - catch up soon.

PS - I am sure the doc was thinking you were beautiful but was too embarrassed to say - awkward types these clinicians ;)

debs71
12-11-13, 01:01
How did I miss this thread hun??!!

I think you are fantastic. You have been diagnosed with MS and yet are so positive, so forward thinking and rational. You are an example of how strong and resolute one can be despite a genuine diagnosis.

I take my hat off to you.

Sending you big hugs and thoughts:hugs::hugs:.xxx

nomorepanic
12-11-13, 01:09
I missed this post too - sorry!

Can you let me know how you were diagnosed and what tests and symptoms etc - may be best to PM me though

I don't suffer with HA - I am just interested in being educated over these things.

When we face real illness then we seem to cope and I keep telling people this.

I am faced with Crohn's and heart failure - as you know - and you accept it and make the most of it and if anything you view life as far more precious than ever before and things don't worry you so much.

I love your attitude too

anxious_thoughts
12-11-13, 02:22
I love how positive you are about the whole situation. :)

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you continue being positive. :hugs:

And do you mind posting your symptoms and whatnot on here like Nicola said? I am also interested in knowing. :)

katesa
13-11-13, 20:44
Thank you everyone who commented here.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I wanted to check with Nicola before posting my symptoms as requested - I do NOT want anyone to selectively read this post and become convinced that they have similar symptoms and therefore must have MS especially if they have seen a medical professional and been told they do not.

I have to say that I am not an MS expert. The extent of my knowledge prior to diagnosis was that I have an aunt who has it and lives what seems to be a normal life.

Anyway, it is a bit difficult to say which of my symptoms were down to MS and which were just coincidental. For example I have always been clumsy, even from childhood so it seems at least part of that is down to me being quirky rather than a direct result of MS.

The symptoms that I had upon seeing my GP were -

1) Eye issues - Now these were not the big, obvious eye issues that many people here post about. They were not the sort of thing I could have noticed by looking at my eyes in a mirror. Indeed, I had put down these issues to either my graves disease or not wearing my glasses enough in the past. The only reason I brought this up to my GP was because I was concerned that it was a result of horners syndrome (at this time I was not treating my health anxiety and was convinced I had lung cancer). My GP did some simple tests (eg - "Follow the pen" - NOT the sort of thing you can do looking in a mirror) and noted that my eyes weren't in sync.

2) Pain/numbness and tingling - Again, being convinced I had lung cancer, I was very concerned about some right hand shoulder/upper back pain which involved tingling. I also had a lot of numbness in my right hand, especially the ring and little finger (I am talking so numb at times that I could have put a pin in it without noticing it). Upon hearing about the numbness, my GP assured me again that I didn't have lung cancer but that in conjunction with my other issues, she'd like me to see a neurologist (just in case!) The back/shoulder and arm pain was initially diagnosed as bicep and shoulder tendonitis and given that it is now almost completely recovered, I am inclined to believe that was correct. Maybe MS made me feel it a little more or something, but I am pretty sure it was not a direct symptom.

3) Clumsiness and balance - Always been rubbish on and off. My GP asked me about this, I didn't bring it up as it wasn't a symptom of lung cancer.

4) Tremor - Again this is something I have had intermittently for as long as I can remember. However I also have graves disease which can cause this and was also going through a period of high anxiety. On this occasion the tremor was largely focused on my right hand (the one that I have numbness issues with)

So my GP spotted some little potential red flags (without me "guiding" her I must add) and referred me to a Neurologist. Now, if any of you have seen a Neurologist and been assessed yet still think you have a brain issue all I can say is WOW. They are so thorough that I think even I would be able to almost diagnose somebody! From there I was referred for an MRI of my spine and head which showed the scarring. I was lucky in that it was a really straightforward process from seeing the GP to being diagnosed.

The main things I want people to remember from my post are -

1) Most GPs are highly qualified and perceptive individuals who can spot problems even without us telling them what to look for. They don't mess around if they think there is a genuine cause for concern.

2) I have no way of knowing at the moment what was caused by MS and what was my other issues (including anxiety).

3) Following on from 2, symptoms are rarely textbook. So if you "match every symptom of MS exactly!!!!" - well, you're unusual. And probably don't have it.

And that's it for now. I'll update when I have my follow up with the Neurologist!