PDA

View Full Version : Positive steps - best diet advice? :)

MarkF86
12-11-13, 02:06
Hi there, first time poster but anonymous reader for a while! A great website.

I am wondering if there are any specific foods I should avoid, or any foods/vitamins I should try and get more of to avoid being panicky and depressed? My diet is poor as I have a phobia of trying new things! Doh!

My story at the moment:

I have been suffering from panic attacks for a few years now (I'm now 27) and for the last few months, I have been more or less fine. However, my mother got diagnosed with cancer recently, and though I thought I was dealing with it - I had the first (of recent months), and worst ever panic attack on Saturday night after coming home from the pub. This was the first time my heart rate had actually heightened to a scary level - I thought I was having a heart attack and was close to getting my shoes on and going to hospital! I had been drinking vodka and shots of jaegermeister, and had a can of red bull... not doing that again any time soon!!! Because I had been drinking, it definitely made me feel alot worse and it took over an hour for me to calm down. Now I feel as if I'm having post-trauma stress, my head feels distant and I had to stay off work today. Honestly, I feel terrible.

But I know I can feel good again as I've done it before - I had been off citalopram for months. I am contemplating going back on it but I really hope I can do it without. My mum has a scan next week so I think if we get good news then my mood may pick up... fingers crossed!! :)

Thanks for your time friends! :bighug1:

Mark

Kez_miller
12-11-13, 02:32
Hi mark.

Sorry to hear u going through cancer of a loved one, exactly the same as me right now. First things first, avoid anything that will stimulate the body, such as alcohol. Energy drinks, caffeine etc...even cutting out things like soda with caffeine in the like cola and Pepsi is a big help. Also try to cut out food high in sugar, as when you come down Fromm the sugar kick u will feel more anxious and depressed.

Things to eat, plenty of fresh foods such as lean meat ie: chicken and turkey, try eating some fish like salmon, tuna and cod fillets (no batter) and of cause plenty of fruit and veg, some are considered super foods for anxiety and depression for example. Bananas and asparagus are particularly good.

Right onto vitamins. First of all make sure u get plenty of natural vitamin D from the sun light. If u don't get enough then top up with vitamin d pills. And also I have found out that vitamin B complex/compound are extremely good for this.

Hope I helped and if u need a chat feel free to inbox me.

natalie5555
12-11-13, 08:45
Drink lots of water!!!

MarkF86
13-11-13, 22:25
Cheers folks! Will try the above! Determined to get out of the rut :) x

Lilharry
13-11-13, 22:27
Try the Perfect Health Diet, has helped me http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

Gina9
13-11-13, 23:16
I had a really bad panic attack after vodka and red bull, I'd definitely avoid the red bull or just stimulation drinks in general, I think they make them feel worse. My main tips would be same as everyone else I think, try not to have too much of anything like caffeine, alcohol and just general good nutrition, plenty of water and good nights sleep.

Best wishes :)

ankietyjoe
13-11-13, 23:23
Avoid alcohol, caffeine and processed foods. Everything else is win as long as you get enough fruit and veg in your diet. Vitamins really aren't necessary.

You don't have to worry too much about lean meat either, it's becoming more and more apparent that animal fats are fine as long as you don't have them in massive excess. It's the trans fats that are bad for you, and they've been mostly banned now.

Alcohol really is the nemesis of the anxiety sufferer.