PDA

View Full Version : Back pain from Lung Cancer

Peterbelfast
12-11-13, 08:36
Hi,
I have been having some upper back pain for the past two weeks. Its on the right side, in and around my shoulder blade and can travel up to the side my neck. It hurts depending on how I sit, if I turn my head to far around, or lean across to talk to someone. It does not disturb my sleep and is generally better when I am at rest. In the morning I can be very stiff in my back.
I can also touch the area of my back and it can be very painful.

I made the mistake of googling my symptoms and it said that back pain can also me a sign of Lung cancer! This is because the tumour can press against the nerves in the back and mimic back pain. My question is what is the difference? Is the pain with LC constant and very very sore? Would I not have other major symptoms if the tumour was large enough to press against nerves I.E. Cough, blood in spit etc?

I have been to the Drs on a separate issue, he did a through check on my chest i.e. deep breaths, repeating "99" etc and said my chest is clear.

My anxiety is hitting high levels tis past week http://www.anxietyzone.com/Smileys/default/traurig001.gif

Any thoughts?

Andria24
12-11-13, 08:47
Peter first off none of us are doctors (me included) so make an appointment with your doctor to have your mind put at rest.

Second as much as you can read into symptoms being the worst case scenario, most times they're not. I have upper and lower back pain, and have done for years. I refuse to get hysterical (mentally) about every twinge because then I'd definitely fall through the gaps in the floorboards.

It's likely to be a trapped nerve, poor posture, a bad nights sleep or some such rather than something deadly. I'm sure you're fine :)

Peterbelfast
12-11-13, 12:03
Thanks Andria. I am not looking for medical advice, just maybe people who have the same issue as myself and can offer some advice etc

Annie0904
12-11-13, 12:23
Peter after caring for someone with lung cancer I can assure you that you would have other much worse symptoms by now.
It sounds to me that it is more likely to be muscular strain.

Tanner40
12-11-13, 12:54
Peter, I'm certainly not a doctor but I did care for my Mother when she was dying of lung cancer, and this is not what she went through.

I do get the exact same type of back and neck pain and it is totally due to tight muscles from my anxiety. Sometimes just turning my neck a certain way is very painful. Having had a chest x-ray, I think you can safely say it is stress induced. Maybe some gentle stretching or a massage would help.

katesa
12-11-13, 13:15
Hi Peter,

I had (and still sometimes do) the exact same thing for 10 weeks. It was eventually put down to shoulder and bicep tendonitis.

I also had a cough so I was freaking out BIG time about lung cancer (I was a smoker, I quit about 3 months ago) but it turns out that was a postnasal drip.

You're fine chick.

Peterbelfast
12-11-13, 13:21
Thanks for all your replies guys and gals. This is my latest fear and after hearing of someone close to the family circle dying of LC at 50, this has been a trigger for this latest bout of anxiety.