PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Withdrawal

BigCog
06-11-06, 09:45
Hi folks

I have been trying to find the posts about withdrawal where people have put typically what they did, for example gradually reducing from 20mg to 15mg over a month etc. I want to start discussing this with my doctor and want to go armed with information as GP's sometimes don't seem to have all the information about options available. I take a 20mg pill in the morning that can be snapped to be 10mg so one question I have is if you go to 15mg how is it done? Different types of pills or drops?

I am also wondering how you know you are ready to begin the reduction? Is it more a case of feeling strong enough rather than knowing you are "better". To me I find that being on the pills (not sure if this is just me) you never quite feel 100% yourself so how can you ever know you are ready to stop taking them. My gut feeling is you begin to feel strong enough to start a very slow reduction and see how that goes. Of course my GP may not be keen on me doing this at all so we'll see what he says.

If anyone is around today during the day and can advise it will be very helpful as I may see the GP tonight.

Many thanks

Bigcog

yorkylover
06-11-06, 13:39
Hi there,sometimes even though you feel better in your self,you may still not be ready to come off the pills.You should discuss this with your gp.when I withdrew,I cut the 10 mg in half to 5.You need to with draw very slowly.;)I had lots of horrid side affects,this is why it needs to be done slow.

Ellen XX

Jenni 70
06-11-06, 16:45
Hi

I have just started taking Citalopram. My doctor told me that this drug was “very easy” to come off, only took a week or two.

I came off Seroxat in June this year. I had been on it for six years and felt I could come off. Having spent nearly six months withdrawing from Seroxat, I am rather concerned that I may have to go through the same all the problems of withdrawal again.

Maybe you are not ready to come off yet. I am sure your GP will advise you. If you do start the withdrawal process, Citalopram is available in a liquid form so it is easy to measure an accurate dose.

Good Luck Jenni

Daisybun
07-11-06, 21:42
I came off citalopram with no problems four years ago. i am back on it at the moment but i am not sure for how long. It'll be interesting to see what happens when i start withdrawel. My GP said it was one of the easier ones to come off too

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

honeybee3939
07-11-06, 21:58
Hi

I have been taking Citalopram for around 8 years now on and off, in the past i have come off it quite quickly, but have realised now i must have done it too quick as 6 months on i have to go back on it again. My advice is to make sure you come off it gradually maybe over months or a year.

Love

Andrea
xxx