PDA

View Full Version : Divorcing with Agoraphobia?

Maeeve
12-11-13, 16:07
I have no idea how I am supposed to deal with this one. I've been married for 17 years. The last 3 years have been a roller coaster of trying and failing to find ways to mend the relationship. The only reason we haven't divorced is because he cannot financially afford to pay for his life plus child support and alimony.

I haven't worked since I got pregnant with our only child, which as 16 years ago. I don't drive. I've been housebound for a year. I cannot seem to find any legitimate work from home opportunities. And since I have not worked within the past 5 years I do not qualify for social security disability benefits.

We agreed to be civil and try to stick it out until our daughter turned 18 or went off to college. I just don't know if I can take another 3-4 years or living like this. Then again if one of us did leave I'd actually be alone instead of just feeling alone most of the time.

Has anyone dealt with starting over while being housebound like this? I hate feeling helpless. And right now it appears I have zero options.

Daisy Sue
12-11-13, 16:17
You could contact your local city council and ask for a home visit from a finance/benefits advisor. He/she will be able to tell you what you may be entitled to. I'm not sure about the disability side of things, but you'd probably qualify for housing benefit, council tax benefit, and possibly others too.

If you've got something in writing from your GP about your condition, or a counsellor/hospital dept., then it makes things a little easier.

Would you be able to do a bit of selling on ebay from home? Have a clearout of the attic or garage & even if it just covers Christmas this year, it'd be a help.

Good luck - it's never easy, but it's amazing what we can do when we have to.

claven
18-11-13, 11:03
Is there anyone in your family who could help?