PDA

View Full Version : How to combat stress?

Kez_miller
12-11-13, 17:50
Hi guys,

Well basically i am so stressed out at the moment its becoming dangerous, i can feel my head just full of everything and like it won't switch off, I'm constantly going over arguments and stuff that have happened that day, but strangely its like I'm hearing the person i've been arguing with in their voice. its not like a shit is someone speaking sort of voice, but its more of a hushed voice and i know I'm replaying the convo. My mind just won't switch off. thing is i know sort of how to deal with anxiety. but this is a whole new feeling, like my body is screaming out for me to just relax and chill out. but when i try to chill out n stop doing the cleaning or helping my grandparents etc....i start feeling anxious, so its a vicious circle, does anyone know how or have any tips on how to just relax the body nd more importantly relax the mind? I'm on the verge of a breakdown here and no1 seems to care, its like as long as they are getting the help from me they don't care what happens too me, I've tried to explain but with my grandparents being old according to them "i shouldn't be stress or have anxiety at the age 22" ....im in serious need of help here....please?

HoneyLove
12-11-13, 18:11
Hi Kez :)

Stress & anxiety are basically the same thing, and have the same effect on your body & mind. So the tools you use to combat them are the same.

- daily meditation/relaxation
- breathing techniques
- avoiding stimulants in your diet like caffeine and sugar
- exercise (yoga particularly good)
- therapy/CBT
- eating & drinking properly, no skipping meals, balanced diet
- good sleep routine
- doing things that make you happy, even small things, every day
- distraction techniques like indulging in hobbies or housework
- self development/exploration
- being good, kind, patient & understanding of yourself, treat yourself as you would a friend in a similar situation
- talk to a family member or friend about how you're feeling
- mindfulness techniques

There is so much you can do to work on stress at your own pace, have a google and you'll see what I mean.

Self Help For The Nerves written by Claire Weekes is a good book to start with.

Rennie1989
13-11-13, 10:32
https://www.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/wellbeing-physical-health/stress/managing-stress

This offers some good advice.

vicki1980
13-11-13, 11:09
I once read that somewhere...... How to combat stress? Answer..... kill the person causing you it!! Can't see it catching on really.