PDA

View Full Version : Mentally Disabled Forgotten

vicki1980
12-11-13, 23:06
Does anyone understand this governments stance towards the sick? It's like anyone who is physically or mentally ill is just best forgotten and ridiculed. There are many harrowing stories now of people's torments from all the stigma of it all.

I don't know it's like if you now have a mental or physical ailment your just told to shut up and get on with it. Where did care and compassion go to?

Is it just me or is this the age greed and no hope?

Broken-doll
12-11-13, 23:22
I have to agree with you there Vicki, it seems that when it comes to mental illness, there's not enough money, care or understanding! Waiting lists for cbt are far too long and it seems that only when a person is at absolute breaking point or has commuted a crime due to mental illness that attention is given and it's very very sad! It's become a dog eat dog society! Everyone left to fend for themselves and it's quite frightening! X

vicki1980
12-11-13, 23:33
Oh yes, only when people have totally snapped are they offered a little help. As you can now see in the media many are just left to it and sadly take the only action left to them, the word harsh is the only word to describe it. The media is now full of these horror stories and they really are horror stories.

As you say it's dog eat dog out there and it really is frightening.

I'm really starting to wonder if the people who run this country actually have consciences because in reality it doesn't look like they do. I feel so sorry for those who are much worse off then me, but it's not pity they need it's practical help and that's gone south.

vicki1980
13-11-13, 10:23
Interestingly enough though now DLA is switching to PIP 80,000 have not even bothered to claim the new benefit, which has given rise to a large section being classed as just workshy in the first place, this does now pose the question were many just workshy and lazy.

I don't know maybe the governments cuts are needed after all, One things for sure though it's a rough time ahead for many.

Rennie1989
13-11-13, 10:25
A lot of this is down to the Tories who seem to believe that the ill are useless to society, which is not true.

Our understanding and perception of mental illnesses is far better than it was 10 years ago. Nobody understood why I had panic attacks when I first had them, whereas now people understand them more. When my mum was doing her nurse training back in the 80's she had to witness somebody experiencing electrical treatment for their mental health, it was barbaric and even back then my mum was disturbed by the treatment used for those with mental health problems.

There are so many mental health charities that have worked so hard, which often gets unnoticed. Did you see any 'psycho' costumes in the supermarkets recently? No? That's because Time to Change asked them to be removed. The media are also doing their best (some are making it worse, but hey ho) like the BBC.

If you check out my blog page (link in my signature) you'll see what I mean.

vicki1980
13-11-13, 10:39
As i recall one of Nick Cleggs election promises was more help and funding into mental health, but like the student fees he did the opposite of what he promised.

I recall a story i read last week where a disabled person was being made to work in a certain burger bar i won't name. If they didn't they would lose benefits of some kind.

Rennie1989
13-11-13, 10:44
A student took the government to court when she was made to work for her benefits. Her argument was that the benefits she received to the hours she was made to work meant that she was earning under minimum wage. I agree that people on Jobseekers should work for their benefits but the government cannot break the law like that.

Nick Clegg has the back bone of a jellyfish. He's gone against everything he's said. But hey, that's politicians for you.

vicki1980
13-11-13, 11:06
Indeed, But what has Clegg got to lose? No way would he have made deputy PM ever, but become a tory and that did the job. Yes next election the Lib dems are finished for good they will never be trusted again, oh lots of them will jump ship at the last minute to save their own necks. Notice i don't use the word coalition, it's all tory rule.

I think the student you talk of only part won her case didn't she?, there was some single mothers also took the government to court week before last they lost their case

Oh yes the judiciary are meant to be independent but you have to ask yourself just how independent are they really?

MrAndy
13-11-13, 11:35
you think its bad now ,wait until they privatise it all,profit will come 1st at all costs and not care for patients
so thats us lot definitely forgotten :)

Rennie1989
13-11-13, 11:56
Nick Clegg will lose his reputation. In the next General Election it will show how little trust the public has of the Lib Dems, they'll lose seats and they'll want Clegg out (I'm surprised that they haven't ousted him already). But with Lib Dems out I think they'll be replaced by UKIP, which could cause problems.

Tories want to privatise the NHS, but if they do that they'll be gone, Labour would come back and make the NHS free again.

vicki1980
13-11-13, 16:59
Rennie, Oh yes your right Clegg is finished at election time but that won't matter to him because he will walk into some nice management position plus his wife has an excellent job so he won't really be worried by the term heat or eat.

Trouble is with labour there also famous for making promises they have no intention of keeping, so i'm not sure i would trust them to put the nhs right again either.

Mr Andy, i agree it will get much worse, and profit will become the new king of the day.

The thing that really gets to me is people are actually taking their own lives now because their benefits/means to live have been stopped,,,,and no one is doing anything!!

Col
13-11-13, 19:27
Being from Sheffield - totally disappointed with Nick Clegg & lib dems.

He's sunken the lib dem ship after years of finally getting recognised.

All I can say is thank God for NMP and charity organisations.

vicki1980
13-11-13, 19:42
That's true, they had slowly built up a good reputation but that will be in tatters after 2015, well it is now.

As for charity organisations i think you have to be careful, very careful.

Don't forget everyone has an edge in this day and age. The point i'm making is look around you, do you see a world where people help others just for the good of it?

Rennie1989
13-11-13, 20:20
I was sent a (mostly like an automated) letter from Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt when I complained about waiting times for my Borough and he told me that there were aims and changes in the pipeline regarding mental health treatment, including an introduction to targets. Needless to say I haven't seen or heard of these things seriously happening since.

Col
13-11-13, 21:21
That's true, they had slowly built up a good reputation but that will be in tatters after 2015, well it is now.

As for charity organisations i think you have to be careful, very careful.

Don't forget everyone has an edge in this day and age. The point i'm making is look around you, do you see a world where people help others just for the good of it?

Very true, sad that isn't it. Yep the majority of people these days help at a cost, of some sort. Isn't it awful having to be trepidatious about even charities. Well I'll stick to thnk God for NMP.:winks:

vicki1980
13-11-13, 21:48
Col,,,,,Well i wouldn't go that far either sadly, sorry to be so bleak but that's just my take on the world these days. Paranoia? Possibly,, but then you don't have to look far to be reminded of how the world is ruled by greed these days.

Rennie, Yes i took a similar route, in my case i got my local MP to write to the local health authority highlighting certain issues. Oh it got them all hot air and steam and yes they assured me things would be addressed. But i'm not holding my breath to be honest.

I'm not sure judging by the state of things now if the world has not gone to the point of no return.