PDA

View Full Version : Claim BENEFITS or Work for a living?

NPS_Paul
06-11-06, 12:40
Because my other topic called: If i gave you £60,000 What would you spend it on? is being high jacked by a benefits discussion, i have decided to start a new topic here for people who wish to discuss benefits with me and others.

Briefly to get us started - My wife and i were on benefits, including housing benefits due to my phobia. When this ended due to my Agoraphobia getting better, we went over to benefits for our 2 eldest autistic children. In fact we got a £3,500 back payment at that time due to previous wrong advice. We should both have been registered carers for some years.
People on the other topic have said i should get a job and not claim benefits. My arguement is this will cost the tax payer a lot more, not less! If anyone reading this works with disabled children, especially autistic children and would feel able to share how much respite care costs to provide, day centres, special schools, holiday clubs, the list is almost endless - none of which we recieve, we are able to do everything ourselves.
Just one persons salery, at the minimum wage would be over £5, and a trained carer a lot more. Got to go, please try not to be abusive and only post if you can add something and know your facts. Hear say sounds good, but facts are what help most. Love to all readers, Paul.

Love to all members

nomorepanic
06-11-06, 13:21
I am not quite sure why we have either of these posts to be honest.

It is a panic/anxiety/phobia/ocd/depression forum and I don't see that this has much to do with that.

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

trac67
06-11-06, 15:14
Paul,

Are you trying to justify claiming benefits to yourself here?

Ok you say with 2 autistic children you cannot work?? I am a single parent to 3 children and I used to work 3 jobs at the same time all which fitted around my children so I didn't have to find childcare, so it can be done.

I think you are just making excuses not to work to be honest, in your other posts you say about how you go to coffee mornings etc, well you could be at work instead of going to these !!!

Trac

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

yorkylover
06-11-06, 15:22
I agree with you totally here Nicola,these topics have nothing to do with what the site is all about.Its all going to end up in people falling out with each other.:(

Ellen XX

darkangel
06-11-06, 15:38
hi paul

i think maybe having a chat with your local citizens advice bureau would be able to answer your questions better - as others say this is an anxiety/panic site.

Hopefully you will get good advice from there.

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

honeybee3939
06-11-06, 15:48
Hi Paul

The Citizens Advice Beaureu can sort this out for you like Darkangel Mentioned,

Heres the link, please contact them, this forum does not deal with these kind of issues:

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Love

Andrea
xxx

NPS_Paul
06-11-06, 16:00
I got over justifying myself years ago, at least where benefits are concerned. How do those who are critical feel about people buying their council houses for a fraction of the market value. In the tennant right to buy scheme, i could use my £60,000 and buy a council house worth say £200,000 on the open market that i had lived in for many years on benefit. Then sell it immediatly and walk away with £200,000. Now that would be a waste of tax payers money.
Now back to this topic, can anyone with knowledge tell us how much care for disabled children costs? I was in council care for about 2 months when 15, and it cost a fortune, 24 hour care, the staff, the buildings, managers, supervisors. Hundreds if not over a thousand a week per child?
Is it cheaper for family to care for disabled relatives or the state. Is it cheaper for a bit of both or total family with zero help? I KNOW the answer, but if anyone disagrees please tell me. This subject was started by other people, not me and i'm happy to finish it here. I'm interested in facts and the truth.
I could work, but i earned £250 after tax for very long hours. Show me the professional carer who will do the hours my wife and i do for anything near that!

Love to all members

trac67
06-11-06, 16:04
I have banned myself from answering this post now, because I will blow a gasket if I read anymore.

Off to see what benefits I can claim :D

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Ammeg
06-11-06, 16:22
Gawd ur on a roll Paul!!
Ok u go on about the tax payers sooo much!!! If u bought ur house for a low price then at least it would be urs and we wouldnt have to pay ur rent money or council tax for u and if u choose to go on and sell that house good on ya, at least that way we yet again wouldnt have to 'worry' about u in the future coz u would have a nice house!!!! lol!!!!
Maybe u should be thinkin of the future other than rite now- how old are ur autistic children? If u and ur wife care for them full time wot happens when u both die?? Just wanted to ask!!!
G

Sue K with 5
06-11-06, 16:42
Gemma thats what i asked on the previous post. This topic is to complexed a discussion to get in depth especially on a panic forum. You have benefits and the satisfaction of reducing the government deficit by working and becoming a tax payer. What you pay in tax in comparison to what your children are rightfully entitled to is neither here nor there.

This is about self preservation and the right to work. Your trying to teach your granny to suck eggs on this one. I suggest you think carefully before continuing with this post because it really is extremely difficult to stay unbiased when so many of us who have still got anxiety issues still have to work and support our families, including those with children with special needs.

I dont believe anyone with two arms two legs and is no longer suffering with a mental health issue has the right to stay on government benefits when there seems to be no apparent reason for it.

Simple get a job claim the benefits your entitled to, buy your house with the money and get into the land of reality again. Some of us would be in our element to do this and have this kind of opportunity. Short of that send the money to NIc and let her invest the money on a 24 hour telephone helpline as well as some funding towards therapy and councelling telephone services.

Sounds like a more forward thinking plan than waffling on about something that does not benefit anyone but you on this site

sue

scknight

darkangel
06-11-06, 17:54
PAUL - do you ever read what people suggest - go to your citizens advice bureau for this type of advice.

It seems you do have a lot of issues to deal with and perhaps this is the wrong place to be discussing your financial status.

Im adding no more advice as you only seem to be getting a lot of anger at the state, etc off your chest and diverting it on to us!!!!!!!

........life is for living not just for surviving

clickaway
06-11-06, 18:02
well, as people have said, this is not relevant to anxiety and is not even a relief to it. And people have given advice.

So I'm locking it.

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers