PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for this but need some advice please!

Katty1303
13-11-13, 11:58
Hello all, this is going to be aimed at people who have over come there anxiety with cbt. I have a lot of questions? I'm sorry in advance but here goes

Is it normal to feel like your not quite getting cbt?

Is it normal to feel like your never going to master the techniques?

Is it normal to feel like your never going to recover?

Is it normal to be very positive one minute and set up for failure the next?

Is it normal to be adiment your not going to google one minute and the next your googling?

Is it normal to feel like your fighting a loosing battle?

Is it normal to really feel like you believe it's all anxiety and the next be sure your dying again?

Is it normal to feel all of this at first but still come out the other side?

skippy66
13-11-13, 12:00
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Elen
13-11-13, 12:03
Hi

I agree with Skippy but is this something you feel comfortable bringing up with your therapist?

Just thinking that it would help them if they knew that you were struggling with some aspects of the technique.

These fears are totally normal and I am sure that you will over come them.

Elen

Tanner40
13-11-13, 12:15
Katty, all perfectly normal. For me, sometimes I think I'm never going to get it exactly right. For me, I think it all comes down to my perfectionism. I want to do it exactly right. Seems to throw me when there is more than one correct answer, more than one category of warped thinking. Am I using the right one? That's what I end up asking myself.

One minute I think I got this, and the next time I think I'm never going to get this. One minute I think that this is the answer and I'm going to fully recover, and the next time I think this isn't working. All a part of our disease.

As for Google, I googled my morning anxiety symptoms for the first time in a couple of weeks. I did that thirty minutes ago. The exact same symptoms that I have almost every morning. The exact same symptoms that I work CBT with most every morning. Who knows why. A moment of weakness, perhaps. Old habits truly do die hard.

Everything that you're feeling is perfectly normal. Keep working your CBT. It will work if you believe it and want it to work.

Katty1303
13-11-13, 12:39
Thank you all for your replays. I guess I just gotta work hard at it. Sorry for this but I have another question

Is it normal think your symptoms should disappear immediately as soon as you accept it's anxiety?

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Replies not replays lol

katesa
13-11-13, 12:47
All perfectly normal babe. We all have relapses.

Be gentle with yourself, it's ok x

Daisy Sue
13-11-13, 13:06
I was going to do a list of 'Yes's' as well.. Absolutely all of the things you mention, I went through with my CBT, apart from the Googling bit as I didn't have internet back then.

Our inner anxiety voice - the one that says "what if.." in your mind so often, really seems stronger and louder than what the therapist is telling you, or what you're reading in black & white. It's clever, and is designed to unsettle what you want to believe. Hence I argued with my poor CBT guy for the first few sessions, thanking him for his time but telling him I didn't have anxiety, it was something more serious, something physical.

Once I got past that bit though, and started to try and believe him and what he was teaching me, it got a lot easier, and started to make sense.

We all go through it, the doubts, the assumption that a doctor or therapist has missed something and we're actually really poorly - it's normal, and it's part of the anxiety condition itself.

You'll get there.. just keep trying to believe, give things a chance to work, or to sink in, and hopefully you'll soon be on the way to getting a real handle on all this.

Katty1303
13-11-13, 13:10
Thanks daisy sue, thank you all for all the replies I really am starting to feel I'm going to beat this! :D:yahoo:

Daisy Sue
13-11-13, 13:20
Thanks daisy sue, thank you all for all the replies I really am starting to feel I'm going to beat this! :D:yahoo:

:yesyes:

HoneyLove
13-11-13, 15:58
Katty, the others are all correct - doubt and anxiety about recovery are all normal, and something we've all felt.

I won't repeat what everyone has said but I just wanted to add that it's good to remember that recovery isn't straight forward. Somedays will be good and somedays will be harder. Some anxieties will take longer to shift than others. But the main thing is that you're working at it and giving yourself a sense of strength and empowerment with it.

Keep going, you'll get there, and come talk to us on the bad days, we all have them too :) x

Katty1303
13-11-13, 19:36
Thanks honeylove x

Shivmarie
14-11-13, 09:15
Yes hun. Im fine 85-90% of the time, where as before CBT i was crippled, i lost work, no eat, sleep and at the GP's , Walk-in and 111 at least twice a week.
I still get mild anxiety now, but as my therapist said, some anxiety is there to protect you.
Set backs are perfectly normal during and after :-) xx