PDA

View Full Version : feel like i can't breathe :(

eastofeden
13-11-13, 18:46
I've had mild sob for 3 weeks but the last few days it's worse.
I feel like im drowning or something.
It's horrible. Sitting standing lying down it's always there.

I thought maybe i was hyperventilating but im doing all the slow breathing techniques and it feels just as bad. I can't stop yawning too.

Im scared something is wrong with my lungs like i have a clot or something.

Even when im relaxed i can still feel it.
And exercising is really hard because im out of puff within 10 secs.

Im super stressed and feel like im going to die :(

Andria24
13-11-13, 18:53
I'm not sure what it is you say you have? Mild ... ?

All the same you need to get checked out with a doctor. It may well be that you've got a chest infection or similar, something easily treatable and because you're afraid you're actually causing yourself more stress and worry than is necessary. You'll be fine, just make sure you get the right diagnosis :hugs:

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 19:04
Sob = shortness of breath

eastofeden
13-11-13, 19:58
Hi guys, i went to a&e a few days ago about it got bloods ekg had Dr listened to my chest etc all came back fine.

debs71
13-11-13, 20:06
Sounds like typical, classic anxiety symptoms to me.

If your bloods and chest are clear, there appears no physical reason for it, so that just leaves mental reasons.

SOB is very typical with anxiety, even in 'relaxed' moments. (subconsciously, you may be still anxious) Been there, done that, had the worry. It can be a tricky sod as the more you realise you feel breathless, the more worried you get, so the longer it continues. Once you are able to take the mental emphasis away from it, you will find it drifts away from you.

Occupying your mind is key. Being busy with something else, and not telling yourself you can't because you feel short of breath as it only prolongs it....just behaving as normally as you can do, with your daily routine.

Hope you feel better soon.x

eastofeden
13-11-13, 22:35
Thanks debs im trying to distract myself and sometimes it does work but the feeling is getting worse to the point im gasping and can't talk in sentences.
I've been to the doc and they give me the all clear so it's reassuring.

Im a little worried maybe my spleen or liver is enlarged and pressing against my lungs and stomach because I've lost all my appetite as well. I also have a lot of pain in my back and where my diaphragm is which gives me a lot of problems maybe i have hiatal hernia or something since i get crazy bad reflux. My chest feels like there's not enough room.

Nevermind ill try to ignore it and if it gets worse ill see my gp again.

Thanks everyone.

mummyanxious
13-11-13, 22:41
If you've been tensing your chest and restricting your breathing this can cause you problems with your diaphragm. When I originally went for my first chiropractor appointment I had a tight diaphragm. Basically because I had been tensing the muscles under my ribs my not breathing properly.

xBettyBoopx
13-11-13, 23:42
I hear ya! I am exactly the same even when I think I am not anxious.

Having the all clear from the doc is obviously excellent news but what to do if you still get the symptoms?! Logic tells us that if it's not physical then it must be tension/anxiety but anxious people don't think logically otherwise we wouldn't get anxious:shrug:

Tension does restrict the lungs but not to the point of harming them and you will always get enough air (says Dr Claire Weekes) and since I have been like this since I was a teenager and I now in my 50's, I can say that too. Doesn't stop me from feeling sob though!:blush:

I also find that distraction only works sometimes and only for a little while. Anxiety takes away the appetite so you wouldn't feel hungry, don't worry about it try and eat little and often, that will also help if you have acid reflux.

Els

sebinkent
14-11-13, 00:06
I suffered with this for nearly a year and had lots of tests. Doctors couldn't hear anything wrong with my lungs and blood tests, scans and pulmonary tests proved there was nothing bad going on. I became fixated with my lungs and how they worked. This is never a good idea - you're not supposed to think about breathing, it happens naturally. I found that I was chronically hyperventilating and I was trapped in a vicious cycle - worrying thoughts - tight chest - laboured breathing - feeling of suffocation - more anxiety and so on.
I managed to control it and get better by controlling my thoughts (difficult I know) keeping busy by starting new hobbies (this really helped because it kept my mind occupied) and deep breathing exercises, meditation and physical exercise (nothing strenuous)
I am now completely free of breathing problems related to anxiety - I'm sure you can do it too. :)

eastofeden
14-11-13, 03:13
Thanks guys i hope it's just tension after all. I've had panic attacks where i hyperventilate and my arms go numb and i almost black out. But this is a weird general feeling. Kinda like suffocating. It's uncomfortable. And i don't want this feeling to last. I just want to feel able to breathe easily.

Im just going to concentrate on other things and see if it improves.

Your responses are reassuring though. Cheers everyone who replied.

Hopeandlove
14-11-13, 04:14
i learned distracting yourself from panic is the worst thing you can do........have u been totally checked out with a ct scan etc..............