PDA

View Full Version : Several blood tests in same site - pain now

chl_hobbs
14-11-13, 10:36
Hi all

Over the past 2 weeks I have had to have SEVERAL blood tests (theyre checking for all sorts of stuff after I have been feeling really poorly ....as well as the anxiety lol)

Now everytime they find it very hard to get blood from me. So I think at least 4 times over the past 2 weeks they have drawn it from the SAME place in the same arm. I now have a lot of pain in the arm. It was like a shooting type pain at first but now it's an ache, a sore ache all down my forearm. ive been rubbing it etc, but I can see a slight red mark (like a small burn from a hot water bottle) about 2 cms across from where they've been taking the blood. My hands are always cold...so my hand IS cold, but im worried they've caused a blood clot (always one of my biggest fears with HA).

Am so worried now and cant stop looking at it/touching it.

Anyone know if several blood tests from the same exact spot (theres like a permanent pink 'hole' there now) will cause a blood clot in the arm? Im so scared. Ive had loads of bloods in the past (I was in intensive care a couple of years ago) but having like 4 tests in one spot is scary...

Thanks

Charlotte

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Now arm is itchy all over.... any one help! X

anxietyoverload
14-11-13, 10:46
Hi! Im sorry to see that you are having to have so many tests!

I would imagine that you are right and your arm is hurting due to the amount of times it has had needles prodded in to it. Im pretty sure that a blood test cannot cause a blood clot. However if you are worried its always best to mention it to your GP as i am not medically trained. The red mark you mentioned is very normal. I get one of these everytime i have a blood test, and sometimes they just dont go, its nothing to worry about xx

Rennie1989
14-11-13, 10:59
If there was a substantial risk of a clot then the doctors/nurses would not draw blood from the same place. I have the same problem as you, they struggle to get blood out of me and the only place they can it is the crook in my right arm.

Fishmanpa
14-11-13, 11:29
If I told you how many times I was stuck during my cancer treatment, you probably wouldn't believe me ;) I felt like a pin cushion! Yes, it gets sore. Yes, it looks like hell and YES, you'll be fine when it heals. You have a good vein there. That's why they're sticking you there. Ask them to stick you somewhere else next time.

Good Luck!

cpe1978
14-11-13, 11:57
My wife has terrible veins, which is a pain as she has quite severe asthma so once in a while we have to pop to A&E or she has to have blood taken. So she always has to have blood taken from the same place (on top of her hand) as they wont find a vein in her arm.

It does rather stand to reason that if you are jabbed repeatedly with a needle that it will hurt a bit. :)