PDA

View Full Version : Eye twitch for a month, should I see a doc?

anxietyoverload
14-11-13, 11:31
I have had a lower eye lid twitch for 4 weeks now. Sometimes it happens once or twice, sometimes a lot more every day. I am not worried about this, but I wonder if I should be? Maybe im making it worse as i am not sure why this is happening all the time!

HoneyLove
14-11-13, 11:43
Some things to think about:

- do you have a lot of caffeine or other stimulants?
- are you getting enough sleep?
- are you very tense with anxiety/stress?
- are you eating/drinking enough?
- are you taking any medications that can cause twitching?
- have you had this before?

These are things your doctor will probably run through with you, so it can be good to think about them. Muscle twitches can be a big part of anxiety.

But obviously posters on this forum can't replace proper medical care, so it's up to you to decide on whether to visit your GP or not - I hope you can figure it out, eye twitches are annoying!

I get twitching muscles in my face because I grind my teeth in my sleep and it makes my muscles all tense.

anxietyoverload
14-11-13, 11:56
Thank you! I suppose I haven't been sleeping that great lately. Maybe subconsciously I was worrying about it, but now Im consciously thinking about it! Its a viscous circle i suppose!

p.s. your right - its sooo annoying! xx

willous1
14-11-13, 13:36
I had that for a couple of months then it just went. I did not sleep well and had lots of caffeine so maybe contributed however when I mentioned it to the doctor he just dismissed it. You sound fine.

debs71
14-11-13, 14:42
I also had this a couple of years ago for several weeks, and it is extremely irritating and frustrating, and far more invasive than it looks or sounds. It's called Myokymia and is an involuntary contraction of the muscle/underlying facial nerve.

After 2 weeks of it, I saw my GP who referred me to Moorfields Eye Hospital for assessment. After 4 hours of sitting in A&E with a referral letter, I saw a doctor who examined my eye and the twitch in less than 10 minutes, saying it was just a case of waiting for it to go.

My reaction was 'hell no' to be honest, as it was frankly doing my head in.

I had been treated with Carbamazapine in the past which works on relaxing facial nerves, and decided to try one tablet.

It worked. The twitch stopped immediately.

I saw my GP again and explained what i had done. He looked at me somewhat strangely, but could see the connection between the med and the problem and promptly prescribed me more Carbamazepine which squashed it completely.

I wouldn't at all recommend anyone take matters into their own hands with meds. I was a nurse for several years, so knew what the med does, but it did work for me.

It was very upsetting to be told that nothing could be done, and it was a waiting game. At the time I was a week away from going on holiday, and could not bear the thought of putting up with a hellish twitch.

I was told the same things as others have described here though:

Reduce/cut caffeine
Get more sleep
Cut stress (easier said than done with anxiety)

If all of those things fail, I would get straight back to your doctor.

Sar89
14-11-13, 15:47
Ohhh I posted a thread the same as this !!... I developed a twitch in my eye for ages think was about 5-6 weeks!! Was so annoying and obviously my mind dwelled on it when I realised it wasn't anything serious one day it just stopped an never came back... Very weird.

anxietyoverload
14-11-13, 16:15
Thank you for all your replies!

I think I will leave it for a while longer - knowing me its definitely anxiety related! If its still there next month I think I will get it checked out!

Debs I'm glad you managed to get yours sorted due to the meds - Im not on any so cant be that :(

xx

debs71
14-11-13, 16:26
Debs I'm glad you managed to get yours sorted due to the meds - Im not on any so cant be that :(

xx

Sorry hun, maybe I worded my post wrong.

I wasn't on Carbamazepine and got the twitch. (ie. the meds were to blame)

I just tried one tablet of Carbamazepine and it STOPPED the twitch.

It was sheer fluke as I knew that the drug worked on Trigeminal Neuralgia which is a facial nerve problem, so thought it worth a go.

If I could have stopped the twitch/went on its own without meds, I would far rather have done, but it just wasn't budging, so took a chance.

I hope it settles for you soon hun.xxx

anxietyoverload
16-11-13, 16:53
I'm noticing twitches everywhere now! Xx

pepsi
16-11-13, 20:15
Im the same im watching tv and they are everywhere.....whats it all about !!

debs71
16-11-13, 20:35
It's about anxiety....plus any of the other causes already mentioned.

utiuti
07-06-18, 17:04
I also had this a couple of years ago for several weeks, and it is extremely irritating and frustrating, and far more invasive than it looks or sounds. It's called Myokymia and is an involuntary contraction of the muscle/underlying facial nerve.

After 2 weeks of it, I saw my GP who referred me to Moorfields Eye Hospital for assessment. After 4 hours of sitting in A&E with a referral letter, I saw a doctor who examined my eye and the twitch in less than 10 minutes, saying it was just a case of waiting for it to go.

My reaction was 'hell no' to be honest, as it was frankly doing my head in.

I had been treated with Carbamazapine in the past which works on relaxing facial nerves, and decided to try one tablet.

It worked. The twitch stopped immediately.

I saw my GP again and explained what i had done. He looked at me somewhat strangely, but could see the connection between the med and the problem and promptly prescribed me more Carbamazepine which squashed it completely.

I wouldn't at all recommend anyone take matters into their own hands with meds. I was a nurse for several years, so knew what the med does, but it did work for me.

It was very upsetting to be told that nothing could be done, and it was a waiting game. At the time I was a week away from going on holiday, and could not bear the thought of putting up with a hellish twitch.

I was told the same things as others have described here though:

Reduce/cut caffeine
Get more sleep
Cut stress (easier said than done with anxiety)

If all of those things fail, I would get straight back to your doctor.

Debs71, did your twitching ever go away, or was it a symptom of something neurological?...

Kingdawson
07-06-18, 18:36
Debs71, did your twitching ever go away, or was it a symptom of something neurological?...

Eye twitches are completely harmless. I had one earlier this year which lasted 2 and a half months and was ridiculously annoying and didn't look like it was ever going to go. Heard CBD oil was good for tics and it literally went the day after I took my first dose. Weird.

Kingdawson
02-07-18, 10:08
Eye twitches are completely harmless. I had one earlier this year which lasted 2 and a half months and was ridiculously annoying and didn't look like it was ever going to go. Heard CBD oil was good for tics and it literally went the day after I took my first dose. Weird.

And now my eye twitch is back after a few months of it going :lac:

It will go...but it's annoying.

Scott4582
03-05-21, 03:44
Hi all! I’ve had this now for weeks. On and off on and off and on and off!! Almost seems like when it comes back it’s there for a while then and only disappears! As we all know as HA sufferers anything like this has our minds racing all over the place. After all, that’s all why we are on this forum to begin with. I’m curious, anyone that has this issue. Was it in the lower part of your eyelid. So not the top eyelid but the lower one where the lashes on the bottom are? Just wanted to see if it was the same place I’m having the issue.

Worrier1985
19-05-21, 21:38
Hi all! I’ve had this now for weeks. On and off on and off and on and off!! Almost seems like when it comes back it’s there for a while then and only disappears! As we all know as HA sufferers anything like this has our minds racing all over the place. After all, that’s all why we are on this forum to begin with. I’m curious, anyone that has this issue. Was it in the lower part of your eyelid. So not the top eyelid but the lower one where the lashes on the bottom are? Just wanted to see if it was the same place I’m having the issue.

Hi, I’ve been having a constant twitch in my lower lid for 2 months now. It’s driving me mad! Only in my left lower eyelid

Elliejane44
04-06-23, 13:02
Hi
I know this is an old thread but just would like to know for people that had eye twitching for over a few months how did it go in end or what happened
I know eye twitching is really common and I have had it myself lots of times but usually only a few days

This time is nearly 2 months and seems to be getting much more frequent like every few mins whereas to start it was just 5-10 times a day

Getting worried it’s something serious as it not going away .
I have tried drinking more water , less screen time, eye drops , hot and cold pads , no caffeine

Starting to get me down . I have optician a week today

Any insights much much appreciated from anyone , I don’t feel that anxious before it started but more it goes on more it’s stressing me out

ErinKC
04-06-23, 19:18
Hi Ellie - I had a crazy eye twice for at least a month recently. It was so intense and happened so often! It was the last month of my school semester and as soon as finals were over it stopped! I really think twitches are so incredibly stress-related.