PDA

View Full Version : Brain Tumour fears

ballerina
14-11-13, 15:38
I'm really scared I have a brain tumour :( I'm 19 and I suffer from anxiety. I've had a throat infection recently but I don't think it's related to these symptoms. I've had a dull headache all around the back and top of my head for the last few days (I also had sharp pains on my head the other day but only on that day) and a strange blurred vision (this is what I'm most worried about), also I seem to be forgetting simple things and I'm not sure if this is because I think I have a brain tumour i.e. anxiety or because I actually have one. I also feel tired even though I slept a lot last night.
It feels like I don't think I have a brain tumour, I KNOW I have one and I can't stop thinking about it, it's taking over my every thought, help!!! :(

katesa
14-11-13, 15:45
Hi ballerina and welcome to the forum! This is a great place to be and you'll find a lot of support here.

First of all - I'm certain you don't have a brain tumour. Nothing you say makes me have even the slightest concern that you do. Have you seen your GP? What did he/she say?

Do you tend to suffer for health related anxieties in general or is this the first time?

ballerina
14-11-13, 15:55
Hi ballerina and welcome to the forum! This is a great place to be and you'll find a lot of support here.

First of all - I'm certain you don't have a brain tumour. Nothing you say makes me have even the slightest concern that you do. Have you seen your GP? What did he/she say?

Do you tend to suffer for health related anxieties in general or is this the first time?

Hi :)
Well that's comforting to hear, although I'll probably start convincing myself in an hours time again that I do! I'm most confused about the blurred vision, even my glasses haven't helped, neither does paracetamol :( and the forgetfulness (I feel like I can't even type a sentence without making a ton of mistakes) although I'm praying that is due to anxiety loss of concentration. My ears feel like they're buzzing too...
I saw my GP last week for the throat infection but I didn't have the headaches then but I mentioned my anxiety on an unrelated note and they referred me for more CBT (I had it when I was like 15, but that feels so long ago now), I was going to make an appointment tomorrow for the GP, although I hate feeling like I'm wasting their time.
I tend to have generalised anxiety, never before the throat infection have I really had health anxiety, this has triggered it suddenly, the other day I was 100% convinced I had a stomach ulcer because I took an ibuprofen without food by accident and my stomach hurt, but since this headache it hasn't bothered me at all, so I'm hoping this worry will pass too, but it feels worse than my stomach did...

katesa
14-11-13, 16:02
Sweetheart there are so many things that can cause blurred vision and headaches. I know lots of people that just get them now and then, for no particular reason. It could be down to have irritated your eye by looking at something a bit too bright recently, being on the computer a bit too long or too close to the screen (even with your glasses), stress and anxiety, squinting too much etc etc

As for forgetful - hon, you're recovering from an illness (and that goes for your buzzing ears too) and your body has had to fight damn hard to recover which leaves a little less energy to keep your smarts in tip top condition. At least you have an excuse - I forget my own name for no particular reason except that I'm a dippy cow!

ballerina
14-11-13, 21:49
Sweetheart there are so many things that can cause blurred vision and headaches. I know lots of people that just get them now and then, for no particular reason. It could be down to have irritated your eye by looking at something a bit too bright recently, being on the computer a bit too long or too close to the screen (even with your glasses), stress and anxiety, squinting too much etc etc

As for forgetful - hon, you're recovering from an illness (and that goes for your buzzing ears too) and your body has had to fight damn hard to recover which leaves a little less energy to keep your smarts in tip top condition. At least you have an excuse - I forget my own name for no particular reason except that I'm a dippy cow!

Ugh here comes the fear again, went to ballet class early and felt too funny to concentrate, felt dizzy turning etc I never feel like this, so concerned! I'll definitely go to the doctors tomorrow, but knowing anxiety even a professional won't convince me!

Tanner40
14-11-13, 21:57
Ballerina, I've been where you are. Many of us on this site have felt the exact same way. Anxiety can give me the worst headaches, along with blurred vision and eye floaters. I got so forgetful the other morning that I couldn't remember the code to get into my phone (a number that I use daily) and I couldn't remember a fellow managers last name. A name I know as well as my own. All of those symptoms add up to anxiety.

Have you read the symptoms list on the left side of the board, along with some of the articles? I think you may recognize yourself in them. Good luck and you're going to be just fine.

ballerina
15-11-13, 17:40
Ballerina, I've been where you are. Many of us on this site have felt the exact same way. Anxiety can give me the worst headaches, along with blurred vision and eye floaters. I got so forgetful the other morning that I couldn't remember the code to get into my phone (a number that I use daily) and I couldn't remember a fellow managers last name. A name I know as well as my own. All of those symptoms add up to anxiety.

Have you read the symptoms list on the left side of the board, along with some of the articles? I think you may recognize yourself in them. Good luck and you're going to be just fine.

I hope so :) I went to the doctors today and she seemed annoyed at me that I'd even gone to the doctors for such a thing and that it'll pass and it's nothing, the problem with anxiety is you don't know if there's someone bad going on and the doctor is completely overlooking it or if you're the one who can't see there's nothing to worry about. She even outright said to me those are not the symptoms of a brain tumour. My head feels so weird though.

HoneyLove
15-11-13, 20:06
Ballerina it sounds like after the throat infection maybe your ears and/or sinuses are a little inflamed or blocked up too. It would make sense of the headaches, pressure, blurred vision and dizziness symptoms and would naturally follow a throat infection.

Try a little gentle steaming, a hot washcloth across your face and the things you'd usually do for a sinus infection or cold and see if it helps how you're feeling.

If you've been feeling unwell, and you don't think they're symptoms of anxiety, it's best to go to your doc and explain your symptoms rather than going in and saying you think you might have a brain tumour. If they see you jumping to the worst conclusion they might brush you off more easily! She was right to tell you these are not symptoms of a brain tumour though, it really just sounds like leftovers from your recent illness.

Hope you feel better soon x

ballerina
21-11-13, 19:44
ugh I still feel the same (well maybe the headaches aren't as bad) but the vision is, I'm so worried :(
what is wrong with meee