PDA

View Full Version : Tight chest

mummyanxious
14-11-13, 20:40
I'm getting really worried with this shortness of breath I've got atm. Every time I cough I go short of breath. Doing small things it happens. In fact it is just happening constantly and I'm getting worried about it. As some will know I'm measuring my peak flows now to assess asthma and the dr had a listen to my chest the other day. Not sure whether she listened to my heart as she was talking about my lungs.
I wish I could shake this impending thought of having some sort of heart failure.
I do have some pain in my ribs when I breath deeply or stretch. But I don't know if that can affect my breathing to feel short.

debs71
14-11-13, 20:45
She is listening to both through a stethoscope, mummyanxious.

Your heartbeat and whether your chest/lungs are clear.

The pain in your ribs I would think is tension through anxiety. The SOB is because you are too anxious about all of this. You need to try your hardest to remove your mind from focusing on your breathing. I know you mentioned you'd been unwell lately, but your chest was deemed clear, so It is unlikely that.

The problem now is that because your wonderful doctor has made a diagnosis of exacerbated asthma through not much at all, you are now focusing on your breathlessness.

I am betting that 99.9% of anxiety sufferers here have experienced severe SOB symptoms. It is a classic. I have, so much so I thought I had a heart problem, but as fast as it came, it went once my anxiety calmed down.

I got rid of it and so can you. You just have to believe it!! x

made0fscars
14-11-13, 20:46
I had this too a lot over the past week, I was in A & E because of multiple panic attacks, it turns out the tight chest (and tight throat) were all down to my excessive thinking about it and worrying. The other day as soon as I actually focused on something different it went away, so now when it occasionally strikes again I just remind myself it went. I did have tonsillitis though and have just finished a course of antibiotics, but this was not related to the tight chest in any way, trust me it is down to anxiety, and also trust me when I say I know how scary it feels, but do not fear it, for it is caused by your brain!

Andria24
14-11-13, 20:47
Are you dealing with your anxiety disorder? It seems as though you're struggling with fear and worry that may well be more related to that rather than your heart/chest.

All being well you'll fly through the peak flow tests and hopefully this will settle your mind :hugs:

Fishmanpa
14-11-13, 21:16
So you're saying SOB is a real SOB ;) I get it occasionally from the beta blocker I take for my heart issues. I do know what a PITA it is. If I exert myself too much my heart can't catch up and I have to slow down. At least your symptoms aren't physiological and you can beat them with proper care and therapy.

Hopefully, your SOB will lessen and all your PFM readings will come out AOK :) Feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
14-11-13, 21:22
THE SOB is caused by you shallow breathing and from the chest not the abdomen.

Try some correct breathing and it will help ease it.

mummyanxious
14-11-13, 21:25
Doesn't everyone think their sob is real? I'm pretty certain it is but maybe its just my muscles tightening up. I just don't know anymore. All I know is its frightening.
I don't know if I'm actually out of breath when I get to the top of the stairs or whether my body is remembering every time I'm anxious about getting to the too and being sob so it obligues if that makes sense.

Barnabas75
14-11-13, 21:27
T U R G8,

Sounds like your mind is spinning with worry and provoking physical reactions..I can say that because I have experienced it..it might take some practice but tell those thoughts to get the flip out of there..not every thought is true you know..Think of things that are nice,lovely and true and see if anything changes..it may take some practice but its helping me..so it may help you also..but you have to want it..all the best mummy:)