PDA

View Full Version : Heart disease - please read.

Cammy
14-11-13, 21:54
Hi, I'm 19 years old. Ex smoker(quit about 2 months ago, smoked for 4 years), since I was 18 I went out and for drunk most weekends(don't drink anymore), and I have taken a few legal highs whilst out partying, now I was completely fine, until I had a major panic attack on the legal high. Called an ambulance because I thought I was having a heart attack.

Legal highs are the most horrible things anyone can take, I was stupid doing it I wouldn't recommend anyone to take them.

So ever since I had this panic attack I've felt different, constant obsessing about my heart. I went to my doctor and I had an ECG and there's nothing to worry about. So I'm on citalopram 20mg and I'm about 7 weeks in. I feel very sick, get chest pains and recently I've had VERY sore cheeks/jaw. And weird feelings in my neck and left arm. I know I shouldn't but google tells me it could be heart disease. I think if I go back to the docs they will rule anything physical out and put it down to health anxiety.

Anyone got any advice? I'm really worried and not sure what to do. Don't wanna find anything when it's too late :(

Thanks for reading

Kez_miller
14-11-13, 21:59
Hi.

Firstly dr google, isn't your friend. Ignore it completely and if you absolutely have to use it. Use the NHS website only !

Secondly I had your fears a couple of years ago when I was 19. But looking back I was stupid...why? 19 is far to early to have heart disease. If u didn't have it from birth (which after have test proves you didn't) then you don't have it now. Just relax do something to take your mind of things and breath :)

Cammy
14-11-13, 22:01
The feeling in cheeks is like I've been smiling for too long and you get that pain in your cheek. Then slightly sore jaws. I'm worrried

katesa
14-11-13, 22:02
Cammy you are 19. A mere baby. You do not have heart disease.

Ok you've given your body a bit of abuse but not for extended periods and it will repair itself.

I think the panic is causing your issues x

Loubelle87
14-11-13, 22:05
Hi Cammy

I completely understand where you're coming from. I too worry about my heart. I used to smoke and quit aged 22 (I'm 26 now). I have chest pains, arm pains, dizziness, hot flashes and all sorts of other thoughts that make me convinced I'm having a heart attack or am a ticking time bomb.

I've had these symptoms for over 3 years and I'm still here. Trust your doctors, as hard as it is not to think theyr e fobbing you off. I had a full health screen last year and was told I had a 0% chance of cardiac related illness in the next 10 years. But I still have symptoms. I still think j there's something wrong with me but try hardest to listen to reason and not anxiety.

Its hard. Anxiety is an awful awful thing. I hope you have some comfort in knowing you're not alone. Lou

Cammy
14-11-13, 22:10
I know, it just feels so different. Or maybe by using these horrible legal highs I have damaged my heart in some way? Just don't know why I have a sore jaw :(

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

I think I need to speak to a therapist and get to the root of the problem. The citalopram doesn't seem to be doing anything. I never had anxiety before trying these 'legal' highs. Do I believe I can be the way I was before. I want to start exercising again but I'm scared of my heart beating fast :(

Katty1303
14-11-13, 22:11
I get those feelings in my cheeks also, doctor told me today that when we are anxious we clench our teeth without realising and that gives us jaw ache. I then realised that I do catch my self tense and clenching my jaw when anxious. Since I spoke to doc I haven't felt it til now but it's getting late and I get anxious before bed so that why.

Hope this helps x

Loubelle87
14-11-13, 22:11
You could be clenching or grinding your teeth without even realising. You could have muscle tension in your fave. Anxiety can cause pain in the jaw.

I don't think taking legal highs a couple if times would have left long term damage to your heart. Try not to worry. X

Cammy
14-11-13, 22:17
I have only taken them on a few nights out over a few month period. They have left me very anxious about my health after having a huge panic attack. I'm struggling, I really am. I just don't know how to get back to my old self

Loubelle87
14-11-13, 22:21
I think it might be worth going back to your doctor and see if you can get referred for some CBT x