PDA

View Full Version : ovaries or ibs

PARR19
15-11-13, 22:33
Been getting sudden slight pain in lower belly button near naval, slight ache in lower back not persistent. Went to docs told her I was concerned as I'd looked online and she immediately said 'and I suppose you have cancer' I was slightly embarrassed she then said I have due to anxiety. Never took my blood never felt my abdomen gave me tablets and sent me on my way, I'm still not happy with her diagnosis and of course people who find out they've ovarian cancer are usually diagnosed with IBS. It's really praying on my mind, I'm 24. Any symptoms
I see for it never gives how severe stomach pain is and all very vague. At my wits end

Andria24
15-11-13, 22:40
Parr we have a whole sub forum devoted to IBS. Go have a look. You'll likely find that you're an IBS sufferer. I have it, and have good days and bad days. I'm sure you're fine :)

debs71
15-11-13, 22:42
Although ovarian cancer can (apparently) happen at any age, you are really nowhere near the higher risk age range, so I would not be at all concerned if I were you.

Your symptoms could be a ton of far more obvious things before you should even worry about OC, anything from the beginnings of a UTI to pain related to your cycle, to IBS, to constipation, to name just a few.

To be fair, doctors don't just take blood without clear reason to, otherwise they would be doing it for anyone sick who sees them!

I've had all of your symptoms many times over. I have IBS and have had numerous gynaecological issues, am 42 years old am still alive and kicking.

I wouldn't be too concerned hun.x

cpe1978
15-11-13, 22:43
Being male, ovarian cancer is not something that crosses my mind much for obvious reasons. But I have been thinking a lot recently about the way symptoms are explained, particularly online. If you think about it it is a tremendously difficult balance to strike. On the one hand you don't want to send the whole population to the doctors based on vague explanation of symptoms yet on the other hand you can't afford the risk of people not going by virtue of online self diagnosis.

So I suppos I hypothesise that descriptions on the Internet err on the side of vagueness in order that they catch most options. In reality most people present at the GP with a condition at a cureable stage, otherwise people would be dropping dead all over the place. Whereas in reality statistically at your age suicide is the biggest killer.

This vagueness I think is a problem for people with HA who cry out for black and white reassurance and it has the potential to drive us to distraction. In reality most people trust their own bodies, don't perpetually scan for symptoms and go to the doctor when they feel genuinely ill. We on the other hand scan for symptoms, then match them to a condition based on loose Internet descriptions and the visit the GP.

I believe the only way out of this is to learn how to trust you body, recalibrate your intuition and trust a GP.

PARR19
15-11-13, 22:52
Thank you, like I said it's not persistent pain. I can even go days without the stomach pain. I just forget very quick when I see it wrote down in a list of symptoms.every week it's something new, last week it was a brain tumour. People just call me a hypochondriac and I'm starting to feel silly