PDA

View Full Version : Change is possible?

Cammy
15-11-13, 23:02
Hi.

Was just wondering if there's anyone out there who has managed to get rid of anxiety? I'm really sick now, headaches all time, fear of dropping dead, pounding heart. Oh and a new one, sore jaw. How does that happen!?

I have the doctors next Friday, I don't know what to say to him? I'm so confused myself never mind explaining this to a doctor. About 7 weeks into citalopram and just feel like a walking corpse.

I'm such a moan on this but I really appreciate the support I get, I remember a time I was happy, only vaguely now

cpe1978
15-11-13, 23:26
Ok let me tell you how my conversation with the GP went.

I opened by explaining that I knew I had health anxiety but that I was experiencing very real symptoms that I had a pathological fear of her dismissing due to anxiety. I also specifically said that I needed to learn to trust her and that I didn't want her to refer me for anything unless she specifically thought it necessary based on assessment and observation.

Her response was great. She suggested we basically did a baseline medical. Blood test and general checks to get a sense of where we were at. We discussed meds which she preferred to try and avoid if possible. She tried to refer to CBT but i was paying privately already so I declined.

Then finally she asked me how I wanted to play it. I said that I knew I was going to love from one symptom to the next and had to figure out what was real and what wasn't. I said that it would be helpful to have an appointment every six weeks or so to stay on top of things and give a brief window to discuss physical symptoms.

So that is where we are. She seems lovely and I have a strategy to manage my anxiety. And I have to say that in 8 weeks I have improved immensely so I would say yes it is possible to get out of the black hole!

Good luck - any questions just ask.

Chartobi
16-11-13, 02:37
I believe it's possible. But I believe that sometimes it can come back. I am currently suffering a relapse (brought on by a traumatic event in my life) but I had been good for the last 3 years after being on citalopram and getting therapy in combination with it.

Was I cured? No, I still had anxiety about certain things but I went from being housebound with panic attacks to having no panic attacks in 3 years, going to the gym, going shopping, to the beach. The only things that really remained a problem for me were keeping appointments (the feeling of being trapped) and travelling, but I know that with further therapy I could have overcome them. I still plan to once I get this current bout under control.

skippy66
16-11-13, 10:08
Yes it's definitely possible, but it requires a change in mindset. You basically have to stop running away, turn round and face the anxiety head on. This is the only way to beat it.