PDA

View Full Version : Back on Sertraline and not sleeping

fallula
16-11-13, 08:04
Hi everyone

I could just do with a bit of support as I'm really struggling atm. After having my son nearly two years ago I got really bad insomnia which then developed into PND and severe anxiety. I was put on Sertraline, a short course of sleeping pills and I also had a few hypnotherapy sessions. It seemed to sort me out and I stayed on Sertraline for around 18 months before a different doctor suggested I came off it as I felt loads better. BIG MISTAKE. I came off it in May and in August I had a relapse, went back on it, couldn't sleep and felt suicidal so came off it and went on to Mirtazapine. I slept great on this but put on a lot of weight and felt so shattered all the time so I came off it and went back on Sertraline. I am day 19 of Sertraline and I haven't been able to sleep at all. I took sleeping pills for around two weeks and then started worrying that I was becoming addicted to them so the last couple of days I ended up taking a Mirtazapine as well as Sertraline. Now I know this isn't recommended at all but I was getting past myself. Last night I only took Piriton as I was getting worried as to the amount of pills I was taking. I felt like I hardly slept a wink, just tossed and turned all night . I do believe the Sertraline is starting to kick in a bit as I am a lot calmer when trying to get to sleep, it's just that I can't get to sleep or if I do manage to I can't stay asleep. I am seeing my doctor on Tuesday which atm seems a lifetime away. I don't really know whether to stick to the Sertraline in the hope the sleeplessness will disappear shortly, ask to be put back on Mirtazapine (which ultimately made me feel down because of the weight gain and the lack of energy to do anything) or perhaps even ask to be put on a low does of amitriptyline which will help with insomnia (I think) but I'd need a massive dose to help with the depression. Argh. I feel so confused and worried about it all, it's all I think about. I just wondered if anyone has been through a similar experience and could offer me any support/advice. Thanks for listening everyone, sorry for the long post, I just can't seem to stop typing xxx

-Stella-
16-11-13, 20:33
Hi fallula,
I started sertraline 5 weeks ago and for the first two weeks found that I could not sleep, as you describe. I complained about this to my doctor and she told me that if I found I was not sleeping and thought this was due to the medication, I could try taking the tablet in the morning instead of right before bed (she had recommended this time as she said it could make me feel sick and it would be easier to manage if I slept through that, but it was never actually a problem).
As it turned out, the sleeplessness went away by itself and I now take the tablet in the early evening - not right before I go to bed, but it doesn't prevent me sleeping if I take it at this time.
I hope that might help a little, and that your doctor is able to help when you do see them on Tuesday. All the best :)
Stella