PDA

View Full Version : pancreatitis/pain when eating

Loubelle87
16-11-13, 14:33
I'm so scared I've got pancreatitis :( every time I eat I get pain under my left rib cage and I still have a dull ache there now but seconds after eating I have sharp pains there. I don't know whether yo wait to see the doctor on Monday or go to a&e :( I'm terrified.

debs71
16-11-13, 14:40
To be honest, it sounds more like heartburn/acid reflux.

Loubelle87
16-11-13, 14:55
Does heart burn happen on eating? And can it happen under the breastbone?

dizzydaisy
16-11-13, 15:07
If it was something to do with your pancreas the pain would be on the right:D

debs71
16-11-13, 15:42
Does heart burn happen on eating? And can it happen under the breastbone?

Yes, Typically, people associate heartburn after eating, but you can wake up with heartburn symptoms. Acid reflux causes heartburn/one in the same, and reflux can occur just from lying down. You can get the pain anytime.

Yes, you can get the pain under the breast bone and most typically under the left ribs with reflux.

You can also get pain beneath the ribs from IBS. In May this year, I had terrible pain there and next to my tummy button for weeks. I was eventually diagnosed with both acid reflux and gastritis as well as a flare up of IBS. The doctor didn't know which was causing the pain as all can.

There are far more conditions that can cause your symptoms rather than the more serious like pancreatitis. Both IBS and acid reflux are typically related to anxiety xxx

Loubelle87
17-11-13, 19:54
Thanks for your reply, that makes me feel better. I'm still having pain after swallowing so I'm going to see if I can see my doctor tomorrow. I'm worried it's a stomach ulcer as every time I eat its like the food irritates something in my stomach cos it causes a stabbing pain x

Hypo
17-11-13, 20:48
My DH had pancreatitis twice this year.

Let me tell you, you will KNOW if you have it. My husband has a strong pain threshold but this had him rolling on a floor screaming in pain. It is rated worse than childbirth.

He was also vomiting, shaking and drenched in sweat. A pancreatic attack is nothing like you described either. He thought he was having a heart attack and had to call 999 as the pain was unbearable.