PDA

View Full Version : Probiotics for anxiety

inCOGnito
16-11-13, 18:33
I'm not surprised by the following article. The neurochemicals in your brain aren't just borne and die in the brain, they are part of a bodily ecosystem as it were. What you eat affects their production and regulation as well as being affected by the health and efficacy of your digestive system.

I started increasing probiotic intake a long time ago but got out of the habit of it (mainly because those drinks are expensive!). But maybe i'll start again.

http://www.elsevier.com/about/press-releases/research-and-journals/are-probiotics-a-promising-treatment-strategy-for-depression

JimSch
17-11-13, 04:41
I have been eating Greek Yogurt almost daily with them for a month or so. No help with my dizziness.

I just read that some type of Omega 3 that is in oils is actually bad for you now. A year from now they will probably say the same for probiotics, lol you don't know who or what to believe...

inCOGnito
17-11-13, 08:00
Hehe, I know.

I kinda like the probiotic angle though because our high sugar diets increase the number of 'bad' bacteria and lower good bacteria. So probiotics can help balance this a little, which in turn aids proper digestion and thus later in the chain serotonin production. It'd probably help some people with anxiety and stomach issues.

But who knows! Never enough research into anxiety and diet/metabolism/bits and minerals

Tessar
17-11-13, 08:57
I take probiotics and have done for a few years. for me it was digestive issues that brought me to taking it. they do help. at one point I couldn't eat mature cheddar without getting stomach ache. that's ok now. I do have to avoid processed foods full of sugars or things containing strong preservatives. but sugar is the main factor for me; that is what I need to avoid in large quantities. I don't really know if its helped me with depression as I take fluoxetine anyway but a good diet is something I know helps you feel better for certain.

HoneyLove
17-11-13, 09:31
Interesting article :) A balanced life seems to be what makes us feel most at ease, even down to having balanced gut bacteria!

I take probiotics to help with digestive problems too, they seem to help. For a long time I mistook the feeling of gastritis for anxiety - it was this hot, nervous sensation in my stomach and I thought it was all down to anxiety lol. At least I know now!

Rennie1989
17-11-13, 09:45
I'd like to see more research in to this (as to any research into treating anxiety and depression) as I'm a little skeptical.

In saying that it's always good to have a healthy gut with the right balance of good and bad bacteria. Healthy gut means it can ingest nutrients from our food better, making us healthier people, physically and mentally.

AnxietySufferer
17-11-13, 09:47
i find that it helps with stomach pain if nothing else!