PDA

View Full Version : I hope you don't mind a Yank joining you.

Crossbones
16-11-13, 18:59
It's funny, I live in the southern US where being called a Yank is an insult.

Skye2
16-11-13, 19:04
Hi there, nice to 'meet' you :) Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Col
16-11-13, 19:16
:welcome: what brought u here?

Crossbones
16-11-13, 21:06
This is something that is new to me, interacting with people that have issues like mine, but I decided to try it out. I appreciate the British sense of humor so I chose this site.

I have lived with GAD most of my life. I have also had 3 serious bouts of Depression. I see a neuropsychiatrist about every 3 months. I have seen psychotherapists over the years but other than being a person to taik to they have been fairly useless. I know most of the tricks of the trade, cognitive behavior therapy, acceptance therapy, etc. My anxiety levels wax and wane, sometimes there are long stretches of time when it is hardly there.

It's never about any specific worry or stress. In fact, I feel my best when I am under extreme stress. I produce outdoor festivals that draw thousands of people. It involves much planning and dealing with crazy circumstances. In the midst of the chaos my mind is so consumed with the event the anxiety fades. My doctor has actually encouraged me to do more festivals despite the financial risk of many thousands of dollars. I tell him that's easy for him to say, it's not his money. Oh yeah, the money thing doesn't worry me either, I've made a lot and lost a lot. I am convinced that genetics are the primary source of my mental issues.

Tessar
16-11-13, 21:26
Everyone is welcome here crossbones. I am sure you will find plenty of very relevant advice and support here. It's a great place to offload and you also find that your own experiences can help other members too which I find very satisfying.

Crossbones
16-11-13, 22:08
Thank you.

Col
16-11-13, 23:03
Ahhh yes agree with that point on genetics definatly a link :winks: