PDA

View Full Version : No appreciation of time?

Kez_miller
16-11-13, 19:35
Just wondering if anyone else gets this. For a few days I've felt awful. Like I'm frustrated and so stressed. Like I don't know what to do with myself. But my question is does anyone else get the thing where you've just done something like 5 minutes before but it seems distant. Like u did it ages ago? For example I just ate a sandwich then went out for a cigarette. But as I was having a cigarette it felt like id eaten my sandwich hours ago rather than 2 moments ago!

Fishmanpa
16-11-13, 19:46
Read this Kez...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=145096

Positive thoughts!

Kez_miller
16-11-13, 19:54
I appreciate what that post is getting at. However I think it's far from the truth. A lot of peoples anxiety stems from not knowing. So knowing that someone else or a number of other people get the same thing is reassuring to the fact that it is anxiety or you're not going mad. Part of the recovery of anxiety is reassurance. So thank you for the link but unfortunately. I disagree with the poster.

cpe1978
16-11-13, 22:33
It's funny isn't it how people can have such different views. I would argue in the vast majority of cases people don't suffer from health anxiety (I.e. Anxiety that is provoked by a symptom). I personally believe that most people have a predisposition to anxiety which manifests itself in concerns about health, but could equally be something else.

So for instance, if it were true that reassurance were part of recovery then once reassured, people would move on. But they don't, they find another symptom, and then another, and then another and so on.

FWIW I think that reassurance is part of a cycle that keeps people locked in an anxious state and to recover we need to learn to live with not knowing.

debs71
16-11-13, 23:02
I'm half and half about reassurance.

I'm of the opinion that reassurance only works if the person who is worried FULLY accepts it and it puts a complete end to their worry. Of course reassurance is nice, but how many (particularly) health anxious can honestly say that?

Otherwise it is fruitless, as even when you end up 'knowing' by someone responding, you still question their response and so it doesn't solve anything or intrinsically help.

In saying that, it is human nature to seek reassurance, but anxiety complicates it.

Fishmanpa
16-11-13, 23:36
I'm of the opinion that reassurance only works if the person who is worried FULLY accepts it and it puts a complete end to their worry. Of course reassurance is nice, but how many (particularly) health anxious can honestly say that?

Otherwise it is fruitless, as even when you end up 'knowing' by someone responding, you still question their response and so it doesn't solve anything or intrinsically help.

In saying that, it is human nature to seek reassurance, but anxiety complicates it.

That's what I call the "Yeah But" syndrome. I've observed it time and time again when someone is reassured.

OP: I feel this and that and I'm scared that I'm (fill in the blank).

Poster: I had that too and it was (fill in the blank). You'll be fine!

OP: Yeah, that sounds like me BUT this time it's serious (like it wasn't time and time before?).

For me, as one that doesn't suffer from anxiety, I observe this behavior and can see it objectively. What I see in asking "Does anyone ever feel (fill in the blank)?, is that it reinforces the symptom. It doesn't help it go away nor does it offer an explanation (anxiety) as the reason behind it.

Reassurance is a fine line and only works when acceptance is part of the picture, as Debs is saying.

Positive thoughts

Katty1303
17-11-13, 12:14
I think a little bit of reassurence is key to recovery, especially when it's reassurence to say said symptom is anxiety! For example if I get a strange symptom I like to reassured that it's a symptom o anxiety.

debs71
17-11-13, 13:40
....but the problem is, you reassure people that it is just anxiety, and they don't believe it, and continue to question that reply!:shrug:

It doesn't end with that one point of reassurance.

Fishmanpa
17-11-13, 13:55
....but the problem is, you reassure people that it is just anxiety, and they don't believe it, and continue to question that reply!:shrug:

It doesn't end with that one point of reassurance.

"Yeah but...." ;)

debs71
17-11-13, 14:07
"Yeah but...." ;)

LOL Fishmanpa.....:roflmao:

Rennie1989
17-11-13, 14:09
I agree with the poster from the link that reassuring does so much, but addressing the anxiety itself is far more beneficial in the long run. As someone who has begun their recovery and has addressed the anxiety I still need times where I need reassurance of certain things. I do agree that reassurance aids in recovery (like being reassured that I will get better and reassured that relapse is OK) but it's like taking pain killers for an infection, it helps the symptoms but does not cure it.