PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have "dysplastic" mole

Freddiemercury
17-11-13, 02:42
Well my mole biopsy results finally came back after waiting two weeks and I can't say I am thrilled with the results. For one, on the first biopsy, the pathology report said it looks to be benign but they can't rule out basal cell carcinoma (apparently a "minor" form of skin cancer) so now I have to go back for another biopsy. I am not thrilled with this as my derm said it was scar tissue and that's why she didn't take a deep resection. Also, I have to wait three weeks for the procedure and then I'm guessing another week or two for the results so I am back at square one. Not to mention that I really am not in a good place to hear I have any type of cancer, and have already convinced myself I am the one in 1000 that will die of basal cell because I've had this spot a few years now.

On my second biopsy, they ruled out melanoma apparently, but said the mole was dysplastic and was moderately atypical. This means it has atypical cells that are more likely to become cancer, and they are at a moderate level (out of mild, moderate, severe). I am going to have to get a deeper resection on that also to make sure the margins are clear just to be safe. Another biopsy will be done, more anxiety to follow.

I am scared to death for many reasons, and dealing with the uncertainty again. I think in some ways with HA, I have gotten used to getting tests and even though I am always convinced of the worst, they have always come back fine and now they aren't totally fine. Also because I read that having a dysplastic mole increases your chance of developing melanoma in the future and this freaked me out more than anything because my dysplastic mole didn't even look that bad and now I am completely convinced I will develop a melanoma and this fear is going to take over my life. Sorry for this long post, I am just in a bad place with all this!!! My only real question was if anyone had a dysplastic mole come back and what your experience was with this and if your doctor explained to you what it meant in anyway. I will talk to the surgeon about it when I see him, but I was hoping for some reassurance in the meantime.

Thanks guys. I always appreciate the people who read my long hysterical posts and take the time to respond.:hugs:

ady1779
17-11-13, 03:53
Hello! I have what they call dysplastic nevi. So my normal moles are normally odd shaped! What's new, everything else about me is odd ;) I see my Derm every year and he has never said that my dysplastic moles mean I am at a greater risk for melanoma! dysplastic nevi, in my understanding, does not make you more likely to develop skin cancer.

Also, you are doing all you can at this moment to make sure you are healthy and pro active! I know that tests and waiting for results are super scary, but trust in your doctors that they know what they are doing!

Fishmanpa
17-11-13, 13:12
Freddie,

I know uncertainty intimately. I've been living with it every day for the last 6+ years since my first heart attack. Now? with a 50/50 chance my cancer can return in the next 18 months, I truly understand the stress you're feeling. However, I don't suffer with HA so I don't obsess and find other ways to cope.

I guess, I just ignore it for the most part. I'm moving on with my life and adjusting to the "new normal" which is my life after treatment. I'm not the same physically as I was prior and I'm adapting to what I am now.

In the same way, you have to adapt. Fortunately, other than a little scar from a mole removal/biopsy, there won't be physical ramifications. It will mean regular visits to the doctor/dermatologist and keeping an eye on the suspicious moles. It will also mean doubling your efforts in your battle with HA. I don't know what you're doing to treat it currently but hopefully you're addressing it and can bring this situation to your doctor's attention so they can help you manage things.

The POSITIVE here is that it's not cancer. I have had similar type moles removed and biopsied as they were the type that could turn into cancer. They weren't and life goes on. They get checked every 6 months as does my blood and such. Such is life and preventative medicine ;)

Positive thoughts!

Freddiemercury
18-11-13, 00:38
Thank you both for replying. It makes me feel a lot better. Fishman, I don't know how you do it. The uncertainty is definitely the hardest part for me. But you're right, all you can do really is live. Life is uncertain and that's what I'm trying to learn to live with. My doctor told me once (he has a dark sense of humor which I love), the irony of hypochondria is that in the end you are always right, lol.

I have upped my efforts lately. I am working hard in therapy and have recently decided to try medication after life long resistance to it. I am hoping it helps.