PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing anxiety/derealisation

Mac1chick
17-11-13, 19:10
I need some advise. I have been off work sick for 8 weeks due to anxiety/derealisation. I am not panicing about the unreal feeling so much now but do still experience it alot !!! Especially when outside. My reason for taking time off was because I would be fully recovered in a relatively short space of time and then I could go back to normal ! But obviously this has not happened.
My question is do I stay off work indefinately or return and just put up with my symptoms as they don't seem to be going anywhere even tho the panic has subsided. Also because I dont feel anxious anymore Im starting to think that this is just gonna be me now so i should just get on with it. I mean I cant not work for the rest of my life !

debs71
17-11-13, 19:26
Mac, IMO the worst thing you can do is stay off work.

This is giving the dereal to much power, as it gives you too much time to ruminate, be inactive and that kind of thing is fatal for creating derealisation.

The proof is really in the pudding, as you say that your anxiety has calmed, but you still feel derealistion, so being off work is not productively helping that.

I think in your other posts about this, I mentioned that it has to be combated with mainitaining normailty and occupational stuff which honestly helps get shot of it. I know it is hard when you feel horrible mentally, but it is the only way.

Also, you will feel that even when your anxiety seems to be lessening, you have good days and bad days with stuff like derealisation. It isn't an instant cure thing. I still get it on and off.It loses its power the more you get it when you KNOW what it is, that is one of the advantages of having anxiety a long time and dealing with it.

Don't give it power. Just ignore it.x

MrAndy
17-11-13, 19:27
hi mac i was off work for 3 months then cracked again and was off for another 7 weeks
dont rush back it wont help long term,eventually i did a reduced hours return and eased myslef back into more hours when i felt stronger
good luck :)

Sparkle1984
17-11-13, 19:30
Are you receiving any treatment for your anxiety and/or doing anything to try to overcome it?

Mac1chick
17-11-13, 19:40
Thanks debs x you always make sense x
Andy I have been in contact with work and they are willing to accomodate reduced hours so I might see how I go
I will keep you posted

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Sparkle its a difficult one as I don't know whats causing it :( but I am on meds and will be starting talking therapy in a couple of weeks . I am trying to push myself to do things that make me feel uncomfortable and not use avoidance. I dont know what else to do x

Rennie1989
17-11-13, 21:54
Like Debs I am a firm believer that work can help us in our recovery.

Do not rush back to work, as you have been off for a while and are recovering from a severe bout of anxiety. Ask your employer to help ease you back into work, maybe start off part time and gradually make your way to full time or work in a less stressful environment with limited responsibilities and tasks until you feel well enough to take on your full role.

It's good to put yourself in difficult situations, because you will amaze yourself as to how strong you really are at dealing with them, but don't bite off more than you can chew, do it gradually.

clarisse
17-11-13, 22:19
Just out of interest Mac .How long after you started taking meds did this happen?
Good luck with the Therapyx

Mac1chick
17-11-13, 22:30
Hi Clarrise i was already on the meds and had been for over a year before the derealisation started. My doc then increased my dose x

Aisha
17-11-13, 22:31
Hi there,

Everyone with anxiety face feeling of derealisation. But, I think it can work out if you start taking small steps :)
Do you go out for grocery? with friends?
Try going out and see how it works out.

Also, for me, work is the way to reduce anxiety. It makes me feel better.

start taking small steps:) trip to library/mall/museum. and lessen the work hours.

have you started seeking any professional help?