PDA

View Full Version : Surgery worries GONE :)

Gingerspider
17-11-13, 22:56
Hey guys, some of you may remember me posting about my pre-surgery anxiety a few weeks ago. Well I thought I would write a little bit about my experience just to help anybody else out there that might be worried.
Now, my level of anxiety going into this was severe, I was so scared in fact that I almost didn't turn up. I went in on Saturday 16th Nov (yesterday) to have a large 13cm cyst removed from my ovary, I had a little waiting around whilst somebody went down before me. The nurses were great and when they realised I was nervous, they allowed me to stay with my boyfriend, even letting him walk me down to the surgery area. Once I said my tearful goodbye, I was led into a room where an anesthetist came and sat down and tried to calm me down, answering any questions ect...well as soon as I got into the room where they put you to sleep, I lost the plot. Full on panic attack ensued and I was almost retrained. My anesthetists were amazing and very understanding and I remember nothing of going to sleep. I awoke, quite comfortably in the recovery room, exceptionally relieved and even more so to hear it all went perfectly to plan, even though it was 20cm when they got in there!!!. I even asked for some pictures out of curiosity (gross). I was on a lot of morphine which meant I felt hardly any pain but it did make me a little anxious. The nurses dealt with me brilliantly and attentively and everyone I met from the surgeon to the porter had a great level of empathy. I am sore and tired but ultimately very grateful and still feel a bit silly for being so nervous. If anybody has any surgery worries, please feel free to message me, as you wouldn't believe how scared I was before I went down.

:yesyes:

debs71
17-11-13, 23:11
Great post, Gingerspider....so glad that it all went ok in the end for you.

I must admit that surgery is a big fear of mine, and I was a ruddy nurse for 12 years (yep, stupid I know) Your post has been extremely helpful to me and I am sure others, as you have shown that no matter how anxious you are, you can conquer and get through something......fair play and hats off to you!!

Hope you have a good recovery.x:hugs: