PDA

View Full Version : Possible irrational post (bowel related)

Button1
18-11-13, 18:56
Hi everyone,

So I'm managing to get along ok without hysterically posting about my bowel cancer fears on here all the time. CBT is going well and pregnancy is proving a good distraction! However something happened today which is threatening to bring the old anxiety back to the surface.

I know this might sound silly but I went to the toilet at work today (for a bowel movement sorry if that's tmi) and it was a fairly big one as I'm a bit constipated (I'm putting this down to normal pregnancy hormones), not dramatically so but I'm going a bit less and the volume seems more as I've not been going as regularly as usual. Anyway...I didn't look in the loo (I have to decrease my checking behaviours) but there was no reason to feel alarmed and I went about my day. When I went back to the loo 6 hours later there was some dried blood at the side of the bowl. Now I'm freaking out about whether that came from me. Logic tells me that it is a well used toilet by a whole office floor and at 6 hours later it probably wasn't me but can someone put my mind at ease? I've just had blood tests and these were normal. I've got no pain or weight loss or anything else...

Thanks,

Iona

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Any opinions at all? X

nomorepanic
18-11-13, 19:09
When you say at the side of the bowl - do you mean on the floor or in it?

It is highly unlikely to be from you though.

cpe1978
18-11-13, 19:16
I think on this occasion your logic is likely to be spot on :)

Button1
18-11-13, 20:14
At the side of the inside of the bowl, half way up. It was like it had gone straight on there as wasn't diluted by water, but the angle suggests that it might almost have come from above, like someone standing over it rather than anything else, I don't know how else it might have hit at that angle? You can tell I've thought about this..!

Button1
19-11-13, 06:27
I've since had a BM that had no blood. So I'm safe in thinking that the blood in the toilet yesterday wasn't from me?

emlica
19-11-13, 09:47
Doesn't much sound like it came from you to be honest. For it to have stayed on the toilet bowl without the, er, other 'matter', it would presumably have had to be on the outside of whatever you passed (if that makes sense?), in which case chances are you'd have seen blood on the paper. From what you've described I'd have thought it was more likely to be someone else's menstrual blood, maybe (this is a bit unpleasant, sorry) 'flicked' onto the side of the bowl during a tampon change or during wiping.

Having said that, though, I don't think it's unusual to suffer from piles during pregnancy and they can bleed a bit especially if you've been constipated, so just in case you DO notice blood and you're sure it's from you, it's still not necessarily any cause for panic :)

Button1
19-11-13, 11:38
Thanks emlica, that sounds rational and what I thought might have happened. The fact that I've had BMs since that haven't had blood comforts me but the thought, even the slightest thought that it could have come from me has seriously knocked me for six..