PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to give it a chance?

MarkJames3
19-11-13, 14:59
Hey,

The last moth or so has been a nightmare, I have gone from one symptom/thing to another, I have revisited old symptoms or things because they are still there and have found myself down the Dr's more than ever (sometimes twice a week).

I have had HA for pretty much 5 years exactly, the last month or so I have probably felt the worst I ever have but at the same time the most determined to beat it.

My problem is I think up good ideas like "I am going to go swimming 3 times a week that will really help", then I go maybe 4-5 times and don't feel any better and I sink back into my old ways.

Today it has come to a head, something triggered anxious feelings then I started thinking about everything wrong with my body and fixated on my mouth...

For pretty much the whole year I have had a mild sore roof of my mouth coupled with my tongue feeling like its been burnt. Earlier in the year i went to Docs a couple of times with them always saying my throat looks fine and they cant see anything wrong. But that feeling is always there, sometimes mild and sometimes more noticeable.

I got myself worked up that the Docs had missed something and now it was months and months later what ever I have is now really advanced... but in saying that if it was cancer of whatever I am sure after a year I would be a lot worse right?

Sometimes throughout the year I have put this symptom down to my anxiety, maybe my anxiety is causing my mouth to be dry etc but because my anxiety is continual and always high especially this year, my body and mind never has a chance to show me that its in my mind and a symptom of my anxiety.

I just continue with the thought of I need to get it checked out and I should book a docs appoint....

OR

Do I try and break this cycle and work towards feeling better and seeing if the symptom(s) subside?

I don't think I have gone longer than a week this year without feeling some sort of anxiety.... I feel I need a sustained period of calm before I can assess the situation properly and then decide if I need to see the Dr like a rational person would.

My question is to you lovely people am I not giving myself much of a chance of getting better and not giving it enough time?
Do I need a couple of months of exercise (swimming) to notice results in my mood?
Will not running to the doctors each time help in the long run even though it goes against everything my mind is telling me?

Do I need to give myself a chance to get better and undo 5 years of pure habit and mind training?

How long has it taken you to get to a better place? and what worked for you?

I kind of need help with what the next steps should be...

By the way I have had 3 weeks of CBT, it feels ineffective at the moment because I ams o highly anxious but again am I not giving it enough of a chance?

Things wont get better over night right?

Andria24
19-11-13, 17:18
Mark - you're on the right track with your opening question. You do need more time to recover. Any illness takes time and anxiety disorder is quite a complex one. You come across as being very in tune with yourself, as well as honest, both of which are positive attributes when it comes to the anxiety battle.

Hopefully more time and more effort will show you that you really are on the right track. And three CBT sessions aren't likely to cure the average sufferer. I'll let you know when I start mine. Until then, best of luck :)

Kez_miller
19-11-13, 23:09
Thing is with anxiety. U r right. It doesn't get better over night. Things take time to heal. The mind is no different. Easier said than done I know but give things a bit longer than a couple of weeks. If you're 4 months in and feel no better then address it but for now keep at it! After all if u don't try! U will never know. And what's the worst that's going to happen by Trying? That u stay the same. If it don't work nothing lost nothing gained. If it does...BONUS! good luck.